RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Forum-old question
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Electrified

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Forum-old question

Yeah Dave, I've used that 1.85 to 1 gear with a 6V 400 too. It's that orange one right? It's inefficient for the application. It has helical gears in it which really eats up some power and drags your RPM's down. The GWS 2.14 to 1, 6V 400 set up will blow its doors off. Plus the Cub isn't really designed to be aerobatic so it doesn't make efficient use of any amount of power for aerobatics. The GWS with a 7x7 or 6.5x6.5 graupner speed prop will run on the NiMh 1100's nearly doubling duration. I have been flying an all up weight of 26 ozs, flying wing (modified FMA Razor) on the cheap but powerful combo lately (ten 1100 cells). The thing will climb doing consecutive loops at over 5500 ft density altitude. It will do any maneuver you could ask of it. Flat out, all of the way, it will give 7 minutes of fun.

With electrics at lower amp draws (able to use NiMh batts) every aspect of the system has to be optimized to get rocking performance in the air. The wrong gears or prop or batts and performance goes south in a hurry. 5 to 10% of performance decrease in the air can make all of the difference in satisfaction.

Elecetrics smell better than Gas!

QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Lilley
I have a converted cub. It originally flew on a 6v s400 with a 1.85GB, an 8x600 pack, and an 8x4 prop. I changed it to a 4.8v Race 400, a 3:1 GB, and a 7x5 prop (still on the 8x600 pack). The second system provided much more power and better aerobatic capabilities, but the Race 400 didn't last long. I think I got ~20 flights out of it before it died. Right now it's on the bench, but when I revive it again, I may go with on of the cheap brushless setups, such as the MPJet brushless, and some LiPoly packs, which would dramatically boost its flight time. [/QUOTE]