RCU Forums - View Single Post - Traxxas or Crapxas (lol?)
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM
TheAdge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas or Crapxas (lol?)

Good call, Dale

This whole anti-traxxas fad is actually sort of funny. Its like watching "Ford guy" vs. "Chevy guy" fights. Or 'discussing' religion. There is NO definitive argument that can sway the naysayers. However, if some guy shows up at a track with his high-dollar "newer-better-stronger-faster-higher parts count" land missile that breaks after two laps, and then watches guy #2 pound away lap after lap after lap with his Rusty, Slash, Maxx, whatever, all he'll see is a noob-mobile that doesn't break because it's a slow plastic brick. But you tell me which guy is on his way to being a better driver, and which one is workin his mechanic skills. Of course, I suppose it could have been the TRX that broke. Bias schmias

To put it all in perspective, Traxxas used to suck pretty bad. I had a few early (Pre-Maxx era) Traxxas vehicles that were utter piles. I've been through Associated's line, Losi, HPI, Duratrax, Yokomo, OFNA, Tamiya yadda yadda yadda. My honest feeling? THEY ARE ALL VERY GOOD! And they ALL have shortcomings. Think parts. Part numbering systems. Availability. Compatibility. Support for outdated models. Clarity of parts descriptions. Etc, etc etc. My Traxxas vehicles are FAR easier to find and get parts for than ANY other brand I own. I'll leave out parts quality, save to say that Traxxas is on par, arguably ahead of the curve in this area.

And who can forget the important part? The cars, the trucks, and the MTs! I'll use the Slash as an (excellent) example. Look at this truck OBJECTIVELY. Here are some of the rips I've read. Point by point, anyone?

-"The Slash is just another Rusty rehash." - Great, they're re-using a reliable design that's gone through countless hours of real-world testing.

-"They just took a (insert stadium truck here) and put AT tires on it." - Yes, lowish grip ones to boot! Partner that with a spiffy steering SX, Dual-rate shocks (soft and firm), all-metal tranny internals, and the nerf-bar, F\R bumper, and wide body combo, and you have a package that drives like they said it would: Less like a stadium truck, more like a Short-course truck.

-"(Insert similar vehicle here) makes it look like a radio shack car!" - Right. I'll drop half a grand or more on some roll-the-dice brand ace-racer. I'll pass on that. I think everyone at one point has had the "shelf racer\practice basher" experience.

Just my $.02