RCU Forums - View Single Post - What plane is this
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2003, 08:26 PM
KJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What plane is this

First I have to make an assumption that the plane is from a kit and is unmodified.

I am ruling out the 'Mach I' I suggested above. I pulled out the plans and the horizontal stabilizer does NOT have tips that extend back to the trailing edge of the elevator. The elevator extends out all the way to the end of the tips of the horizontal stabilizer.

The wing bolts for the 'Mach I' are different. On the 'Mach I' there are two recessed bolts in the front and one bolt in the back. The picture of the plane in question has two bolts in the back and I see no bolts in the front.

Also the leading edges of the wings on the 'Mach I' are almost (but not exactly) straight across from wingtip to wingtip and almost all of the taper is in the trailing edge of the wing.

If the stab is straight across (horizontal) then it rules out the Bridi UFO. The UFO had an anhedral horizontal stabilizer and elevator. There was a control horn on each half of the elevator.

The Dirty Birdi is still a contender. I believe the horizontal stabilizer does have the tips extending back to the trailing edge of the elevator and the horizontal stabilizer is really 'horizontal' The 'rake' of the verical stabilizer is similar.

The photos we need would be:

1) Picture from the top of the plane. Maybe stand the plane against a wall balanced on the nose and one wingtip. We need to see the sweep of the wing leading edges and trailing edges (the wingtip shape will show in this type photo as well) and the sweep of the stab leading edges and trailing edges.

2) A picture from the side of the plane (about wingtip level) that shows the contour of the fuselage and the design of the vertical stabilizer.

Also, does the horizontal stabilizer have an airfoil shape or is it just a flat surface?