RCU Forums - View Single Post - phoenix 8 verse phoenix 7
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 07:13 PM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: phoenix 8 verse phoenix 7

Seen this from Don Lowe's son?

Phoenix 1 was published by RCM. Was kitted with fiberglass fuselage, but I never saw one of these kits. Originally powered by a Super Tigre .46, then a .51, then a .56 as they became available.
Phoenix 2 was a Phoenix 1 with less sweep, about 15 degrees. Not published. One built.
Phoenix 3 was somewhat larger, similar sweep as Phoenix 1 One built, not published. Airplane still exists.
Phoenix 4 was a new design, less sweep, one built, not published.
Phoenix 5 used the wing and tail from the Phoenix 4, more side area for knife edge, published by American Modeler magazine. Kitted with fiberglass fuselage, foam wing by numerous people. Also a 40 sized version was kitted with a fiberglass fuselage. TONS of these were built. Wing Manufacturing has the molds and is kitting them.
Phoenix 6 was somewhat smaller. Was kitted with a fiberglass fuselage/foam wings. Kit wasn't very good, and was heavy.
Phoenix 7 was a very minor departure from the Phoenix 6, primarily don e for another fiberglass kit seller for something different. High quality kits produced by Joe Bridi, but sold under another name.
Phoenix 8 was somewhat larger. Kits allegedly still available from PAC, but haven't tried to get one. I know the molds exist.
Phoenix 9 was a departure from previous thinking and designed for turnaround pattern. Swept leading edge, straight trailing edge. Larger overall, two piece wing, specifically designed for a muffled tuned pipe. The late Bob Godfrey (of TOC fame) built some of them up for various people. I have one, with an OS .61 RFP ABC, and pipe. Not published.
Phoenix 10 was essentially a Phoenix 9 with a longer fuselage (2 inches?). One built with a Hanno .61. Plane still exists. Last in the series.

Jon Lowe