RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???
Old 02-15-2009, 07:28 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

Hi,

Many of us have repeated over and over again that most oil brands will work great for the hobby flyer. Even in most cases outboard motor oil because while it is primarily designed for water cooled engines, most people don't really push their engine.

A couple of us from "professional" experience discourage Amsoil use because of carbon formation and excessive wear at the low mix ratios.

If I was a hobby flyer, I would use any good quality 2-stroke oil since the engine will probably get crunched in an impact before it even sees 100 hrs of run time. I would break in the engine on any quality oil but lawnboy which leaves a thick residue of "tar oil" on the piston after the breakin run. If the subsequent oil does not have a good mix of cleaning compounds, this gunk turns to carbon.

The difference between a multipurpose outboard oil (tw-3) and an oil developed for aircooled engines is the mix of cleaning compounds in the oil. These change depending on the expected running temperature of the engine.

Personally, I breakin engines with dino oil and use dino oil full time for the life of the engine. In high engine stress applications, I mix 20:1. In more "normal" work stresses, I mix 40:1. I currently use Pennzoil air cooled and I just ordered a couple of cases of 8 oz bottles for $27 a case plus shipping.

Elson