RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread
Old 02-19-2009, 09:41 PM
grael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

vinnyst,
I've looked up DIY brushless speed controllers before, but I would rate them as an advanced electronics construction project at the moment. You have to have a microcontroller to sequence the pulses to the coil drivers, and it has to constantly monitor the feedback voltages, even at very high RPM. There is some free object code out there, but you need to be able to download the program code into the microcontroller too.

All quite a big ask, unless you are already pretty good at electronics. I had my own electronics and SW company for 4 years, and I've considered one, but it's cheaper to buy them out of China, than it is to buy the components individually, to make the circuitboard, etc etc.

For RC, you want high density SMD construction, and that's another challenge for a beginner, to solder small fine pitch packages without developing solder bridges where they oughtn't be !

I do have one brushess project in mind, but it's more likely to be around the end of this year, and it wouldn't be free source or design.