RCU Forums - View Single Post - A couple of "why do you do it" questions;
Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
cheesewizz69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A couple of "why do you do it" questions;

ORIGINAL: twindaddy66

Hi all...been a while. I am getting ready for time on the water here soon and I have a couple of general questions:

1. Why is it that people recommend "scuffing" the hull bottom with very fine sandpaper? Isn't slicker better? I dont know of any full size boaters that do this...

2. Why flex shafts? Has anyone experemented with a more rigid set up...like a drive shaft? With all the rigid shafts in the RC car/truck industry, looks like something would be compatable???

3. My SuperVee27 has been sitting for about 9 months, I did the required "winterizing" with the after-run oil, etc. This will be my first "over the winter-first time start in the spring deal......what should I expect the first time I try and start her up?

4. Also looking to get a big gasser. My 1st choice WHH Magnum 57, second choice, ProBoat Shockwave55 or Blackjack55, third..Venom King of Shaves, and only reason this is third is because of lack of clutch and water pump. I dont care to hear why I dont need a clutch...I want one and thats that. Who likes what..and yes I have searched everything..

Thanks
John
1) Scuffing helps release the water tension holding the hull onto the water.
2) One reason is the angle or bends required to get the proper prop aligment, second is the flex shaft acts a a shock abosrber so the loads are lessened on the crank.
3) If you did the winterizing correctly you should have no problems getting the engine running properly. I would run a bit rich for the first tank.
4)My choice would be WHH. Support, build and value.

I am sure others will chime in.