RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric Racing Development Efforts
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Racing Development Efforts

What I'm thinking for "Club Wingman" is to use the Wingman II ($80), the GA029EPTS power package ($65), and the 40 amp speed controller ($70) that AirBorne sells, for the Club Wingman Sport class.

The manual at [link]http://www.thewingsmaker.com/products/airplanes/manuals/GA029.pdf[/link] gives a little more information about the power system. It is a 450 watt setup. That should be just about right for the airframe for racing newcomers.

I think I want to convert mine to "E" power if the set up Iceman listed is that cheap and works (where is that from?)
Consistent supply of motors (and ESC's) has been an issue for trying to do "Spec" electric pylon racing.

I have already had discussions with AirBorne about the supply of the power package and the plane. If we start a racing class based on this plane and power package, they are committed to producing them as long as we need them and they are selling.

The CA hinges on the Wingman II mean that it is easy to strip and recover. So we don't need solid colors ... perhaps an ARC if there is enough demand.

I think that we would have the similar success with Club Wingman we have had with Club 40 because it is basically plug and play.

While I would like to do Club 40 EP, the planes are bigger and weigh at least a pound more. That translates into bigger motors and batteries. If someone is going electric, they don't care that we use the Sky Raider Mach II andLA Racer 40 in a glow class.

The electrified Quickie class would make a nice step up in technology and speed.