Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pylon Racing
Reload this Page >

Electric Racing Development Efforts

Notices
Electric Pylon Racing Discuss all aspects of electric pylon racing here.

Electric Racing Development Efforts

Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Iceman67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Racing Development Efforts

Ronny,

I am not familiar with the Eflight controllers, but they should be plug and play. I would use bullet connectors between the motor and controller. I always plug the center wire of the controller to the center wire of the motor. I then plug the other two in. If the motor direction is correct, then you are okay. If reverse, then switch the outer (2) wires and the direction will be correct. I would run an APC 5.5 x 4.5 for sport flying and an APC 5 x 5 for speed. Keep the current below 30 amps and you should be set. 380XL size motors are typically 200-300 watt motors. You will have a fast set-up with this so me sure to keep your control throws to a minimum. 23 ounces with that kind of wing area should be fine for launch. Do you have any way of checking static current? I use an Astroflight Watt meter in between the battery and ESC to check this. This is a good habit to get into to make sure your system isn't overloaded.

Your motor specs are 28mm dia x 56mm length & 3200 RPM/volt. Free load rpm will be 11.1 x 3200 = 35,520.

Let me know how it goes.

Take Care.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Iceman67

tIANci,

The 35-48 dualsky motor will be sufficient for a Viper. I am getting some 5S and 6S packs for trials on the 35-38-1100 & EP Q-500. I really like the 4S set-up, but I am trying to match the TT40 for speed. I'll probably go back to the 9 x 6 for the prop to controll current. 4S and the 35-48-1100 are better suited with larger props like a 10 x 8 or 11 x 7. The motor has a lot of torque.

Let me know how it goes!!

Take Care!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 AM
458ronnyb

Thanks Iceman, but I don't have any means of checking at this time. I am new to electrics and will have to get some stuff. and learn how to use it. Thanks again and I will probablely get back with you,

Ronny
Old 04-20-2009, 02:33 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iceman ... gonna strip the Viper this week and weld that firewall together again. Will go and start the conversion soon. Just ordered some Zippy 4S 2,500 30C packs to test out. Wonder if I can get the CG right with 4S2P ... Hmmmm ...
Old 10-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Knife Liddle

Great thread. I`ve read through it this weekend. I`m in a hot spot for Quickie 25 racing, the Dallas/Ft Worth Tx area. I think it would be fun, and I`ve watched a couple of races, but I`m only interested in flying electric power, and as far as I know they have no provisions in the rules for E`s to compete with the IC planes. Maybe I can get with Gene and get a few trial/demo heats.

One reason for the post. I noticed that on the Viper you are having to remove the wing to change the battery. I have a Viper kit and have been looking it over. I don`t know if anyone has tried this, but I`ve decided to make it into a low wing plane so that I can make a hatch in the fuse above the wing for quick battery replacement.

I`m also looking at power systems that will turn the spec prop (gas APC or MA 8/6) in the correct RPM range for competition with the IC powered planes.

In RC combat we have an entry level event that allows IC and E to compete on even ground by simply having a spec prop, a max rpm, and a min weight. The rpm limit is pretty easy to police and puts everyone very close to the same speed. It`s not an exact science, but gets things close enough that it becomes a pilots game, not a deep pocket contest.

I`ll post a pic or two of my low wing Viper mock up. Lee Liddle
Old 10-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Knife Liddle

Here are some pics of my inverted Viper. I had to cut a new shape for the wing saddle to match the top of the airfoil, but there is just enough room so that the blind nuts in the fuselage don`t have to be moved. I had to drill a new angle for the wing bolts and make a cut to recess the V tail farther up into the fuselage. All of this took about 45min and other than making a top hatch, this should be the only extra work required to make the change. Oh, I will have to put hard points in the bottom of the wing to mount the main gear to, and I will have to turn the touque rods over, but I read that the torque rods need to be upgraded anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77015.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1288352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98043.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1288353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79724.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1288354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89960.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1288355  
Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Iceman67

Great Work on the Viper conversion. I can't wait to hear your results.

To get enough useful rpm out of a MA 8x6, you will have to go with at least a 1000Kv motor and 5S 3000 pack. My Predator with the Turnigy 35-48-1100 on 4S with a 9 x 7.5 APC "E" prop is around 100 mph. Not sure what your target speed is, but it is a starting point.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Old 10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I typically like experiments, I should point out that having the V-tail mounted low on the fuselage is not a good practice from a drag standpoint. You really want to avoid junctions where the angle is less than 90% whenever possible.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Jim Duda

I may have missed it but isn't prop clearance on the typical Q500 type airframe/landing gear a concern? Especially on grass fields...we have some problems using the 9 in. diameter props on the Vipers - especially with the new folks. Even some of the fuel powered Club 40 stuff sometimes don't get off with anything larger than a 10-1/2".
Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Iceman67

How many EP Q-500's we got flying now?? I haven't flown mine in a while and I now have some 6S 2650 packs I would like to try, but the 35-48-1100 would need a smaller prop to run these packs. Looking in the 8 x 6 to 8 x 8 range. It sure would be fast though.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Old 02-14-2019, 10:26 AM
RBTHNTR64
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Building a Super T to your spec set up. Will report back with my results. Maybe if I show the locals it will keep up with their 424 birds, I may be able to mix it up with them around the pylons.
Subscribed and BTT. 😊
Old 02-16-2019, 06:39 AM
RBTHNTR64
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was told this airframe was a Super T. Converted it to Archie’s electric specs. The elevator cable seems a bit loose, as I can move the surface with little pressure. Has anyone got a set of plans that can shoot a pic so I can see how it is supposed to be set up?