RCU Forums - View Single Post - Remove Panzer III return wheel mounts?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remove Panzer III return wheel mounts?

Bringing this one back almost a year later, but is it normal to break the mounting pins off while removing these? HL StuG.

I was real careful last night...cut all around the pins with a razor knife up to the plastic reinforcement thats under the mount on the outside of the hull, cut off the pins inside the body flush, then tried to push the mount off with a punch on the legs of the mount from the inside. When that didn't work I tried to pry the mount off from the outside with a jewelers screwedriver under each side, "rocking" the mount loose, but the hull side just flexed. Tried rapping the mount sharply with a small pair of pliers to break any glue bond that I may have missed, no luck. Eventually all three rollers I worked on broke two or all three of the mounting pins off flush with the hull.

The glue they used on mine (plenty, most of the glue used in the hull ran all the way to the floor because there was so much) seems to be a bit rubbery, not as brittle as I would have expected. Not to mention, there is evidence of glue on the OUTSIDE of the hull, which from posted pictures on this site of others doing the same thing, didn't appear to be used on other models.

Just kind of wondering if some have had as bad a time as I have. Was hoping I'd get some "good" spares for others to use, or to use as supports under the metal ones, but doesn't look like it.