RCU Forums - View Single Post - ID Kit ¼ Super Decathlon, need advice + rebuild start
Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
lynchr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ID Kit ¼ Super Decathlon, need advice + rebuild start

Thanks to szig and LuvBipes. I enjoy building and if I stopped and took the time, I could write a book on hints for building the
Decathlon. If I build another one it will be better. I also restore 60's era Chevys.

There is one thing I have found with either hobby that makes all the difference when the project is done. Consider every step as the only thing you will do and it will be seen by EVERYBODY. As soon as you start thinking "The covering will hide that", or "I can fill the gaps with filler", the final quality will reflect that mentality. Also, don't make it your goal to "build this plane". It is easy to become overwhelmed. Just make short term goals like "I am going to frame the rudder today and make every joint perfect". For example, I consider the cabin door a model all on it's own and I have built sport models in less time than I have in the door.

Something else that saves a lot of frustration is to install the engine, fuel tank, all radio gear, and connect the flight surfaces as soon as you have everything framed but before you start sheeting anything. It is easier at this point, and adjustments (changes) are not a big deal. I'll try to post some more pictures as I progress.