RCU Forums - View Single Post - another darn ryobi post (ryobi performance modification, analysis and comparison)
Old 03-14-2009, 05:41 PM
combatpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: another darn ryobi post (ryobi performance modification, analysis and comparison)

just bought a tach from princess auto today. they had one on sale for $20, so i couldnt pass it up. i think that this type will be more accurate, cause i need to attach reflective tape to the prop. It says that the readings are +- 1 rpm and the max range is 8 meters.
Pic Pic I want pics lol

12.7 mm carb on the way. I'm already wondering if my exhaust system needs opening up. The 1/2'' EMT (electrical metal tubing) stinger has no more area than a 12.7mm venturi. You'd think the total exhaust exit area should be greater than the carb inlet area.
I think your really gona like what you get out of that new carb. I had great results with mine. I do think im gona modify my high speed needle valve so i can tune it without a screwdriver. it needs a small t handle like my g62 zenoah has.

That should be more than enough for the outlet of the muffler. mine has two half inch tubes and you can cover one up completly with no effect at all. Did you remove all the baffling inside also? In all reality 7200 rpm isnt that far off from what im getting with the same modifications. that bigger carb should put you up or above the 7400 range where im at.

Wow.... +-1rpm! I never see a digit in the "ones" column on my tach. How is this tach different from the ones we buy from the hobby store that would make it more accurate?
From what i understand this type sends out its own light source much like the light signal in your tv remote. it is then reflected back off of the reflective tape and with this light source it is less likely to be affected by other light sources. The regulat hobby one uses ambient light and this is why it just wont work in a room that has floresent lights.

The issue with the reeds maybe as I read on another web site. The reed system becomes less efficient with the increase in RPM. This would be similar to "valve float" in a 4 cycle engine at a high RPM. So maybe a stiffer reed with stronger impulses to open and close it with increased RPM is the answer to more horse power. HP generally increases with RPM.
If this were the case it is my opinion that the valve would float at this rpm under any condition or any load. with or without a prop vavle float would be the limmiting factor. When i put a smaller prop on it it went right up to 8200 rpm so this tells me the reed will operate at this higher rpm. if valve float was the limmiter it would have stopped right at 7440 just like all my other tests.

The rotary valve is interesting but i just dont think it will work on the ryobi engines as there is no practical way to mount or drive it.

I don't know how true this is but, I do know, my wife loves to run our Weed Eater ( w/Ryobi engine) with about 2"- 3" of line sticking out of the cutting head. That engine has to be turning around 10,000 RPM and let me tell you, she don't care that it has a throttle. She runs it like this until it runs out of gas. Believe it or not, our wackers will last for several years, I haven't had one throw a rod yet.
This is so funny. is your wife my wifes sister. My wife will go mowing and come back and say i dont know the blades just quit. when I look there is a TREE wedged in the blades and the belt is burnt in two cause she aint got enough sense to disengage the blades at this point. yea they just quit my rear lol