RCU Forums - View Single Post - Servoless Mechanical Retracts.. Any experience?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 AM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servoless Mechanical Retracts.. Any experience?

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

Well... I ordered some... I ordered them on February 2nd.. They have yet to arrive. We'll see what they're like when I get them.. I bought a Slow Poke 40 at the recent TCRC auction.. I'm thinking it might be fun to try them in that...
They finally arrived.

I've included pictures.

Picture 1 is the complete setup along with my Tx and Rx for testing. I also put a pair of GP .40 sized mechanical retracts in the picture for comparison.

This "main gear" setup compes with a controller box, about the size of my Rx. It has one lead coming out which plugs into the Rx. And like a Rx has 3 "gozintas" (Goes intos) Then the retracts themselves plug into it. And finally two bags of struts/tires.

The connections were pretty straight forward. And they worked right out of the box. It takes about 15 seconds for them to fully retract or extend.

Other pictures has just the retract and the mechanical retract beside it for comparison. Both in extended and retracted positions.

Initial impressions.

I would NEVER put them in anything bigger than a .40 sized airplane.. And that's pushing it. I would NEVER use them in a scenario where they retract forward. They don't look to have any "locking" capability. So I'd only use them in a scenario where they retract side-ways.

I had the thought of bashing them into a Slow Poke 40. They might work there. The plane is a slow flyer, can land at a slow speed. Etc. Rough grass fields might be a little iffy, especially on a fast landing plane..

Just my thoughts...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90653.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1162483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98618.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1162484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50590.jpg
Views:	17