RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building the original Byron P-51 Mustang
Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Building the original Byron P-51 Mustang

ORIGINAL: HUNTERANDJEFF

GSnut, I have retracts for my plane already and they are air up, spring down. They were graciously given to my by Scott McCory from Colorado. I am going to be using a different air tank than original. Don't really want the plastic?
I am putting two servos in the wings for the ailerons - what in.oz. have some of you used on this plane? I was told that it doesn't take much cause it doesn't fly that fast. The originals used one standard servvo for both ailerons but those planes were going in due to servo failure and sticking linkage. I was thinking mg 55 in.oz. min?
Jeff

That's great news on getting the retracts and a good choice on the air reserve tank. I never did like the plastic ones.

As far as the servos anymore its almost a personal choice... Although I use Hitec HS 645MG in all my GS aircraft to 85 in. wing span unless very high speeds are reached. The Hitec HS 645MG specs are as:
Torque: 106.93 oz-in at 4.8V (7.7 kg-cm) And 133.31 oz-in at 6.0V (9.6 kg-cm) I also run 6 Volt DC at 2300 MA Nicad pack and find no servo stall at high speeds.

Had a experience with elevator servo stall during a hi-speed pull out with a G-62 powered Air Tech Eagle after a rather large loop. (Puts your heart in your throat) I did get a successful pullout on throttle down and a more gentle elevator. Thats when I learned redundancy. Am going to even larger GS Servos when I complete my 102 in. Saxon / Steed P-51 Mustang which will have the inline twin 100 for power.

Your choice on those servos of course !!

Cheers

GSNUT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34967.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1168627