RCU Forums - View Single Post - Airplane controller to control robot?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 PM
cremley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane controller to control robot?

Hello all, I am new to the forums and I have a lot of questions. I am a complete newb as far as RC goes but I can build mechanical machines and autonomous lego robots.

First off, I work in a lab at the University I attend. We build robots out of Lego's and give tours of our lab to kids around the state to try and get them interested in engineering and the sciences.

Currently, I have been working on a robot that can climb a wall. It uses a fan to provide "suction" and two lego motors to drive the wheels. However, this takes two people to run this thing and I have been assigned the task of making this thing easier to control so only one person has to run it.

I currently have a JR XF631 RC airplane controller, two speed controls, two servos, and some other controller that looks like the speed control at my disposal. This is about what I can have and I am on a limited budget. All of this stuff was purchased by the lab years ago.

http://www.jrradios.com/ProdInfo/Fil...219-manual.pdf

So, how can I go about doing this? I don't have any experience with servos or speed controls other than I know somewhat what their functions are. I have to be able to control the two motors that drive the robot. The fan is on a separate motor and can work going full blast. The robot only climbs about 5 feet up the wall and all of the power is connected by cables because batteries are too heavy for it. Mechanically, the robot works great. Electrically, I have to clamp wires to the fan motor to turn it on, place the robot on the wall, and use two separate controllers for the wheels while another person guides the wires. If I can guide the wires in one hand and use this RC plane controller to control the two motors, I think this should work. I also need to know how to connect all of this stuff up, if that is not too much to ask.

Anyway, thanks if you guys can help.