Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

Airplane controller to control robot?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 PM
cremley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane controller to control robot?

Hello all, I am new to the forums and I have a lot of questions. I am a complete newb as far as RC goes but I can build mechanical machines and autonomous lego robots.

First off, I work in a lab at the University I attend. We build robots out of Lego's and give tours of our lab to kids around the state to try and get them interested in engineering and the sciences.

Currently, I have been working on a robot that can climb a wall. It uses a fan to provide "suction" and two lego motors to drive the wheels. However, this takes two people to run this thing and I have been assigned the task of making this thing easier to control so only one person has to run it.

I currently have a JR XF631 RC airplane controller, two speed controls, two servos, and some other controller that looks like the speed control at my disposal. This is about what I can have and I am on a limited budget. All of this stuff was purchased by the lab years ago.

http://www.jrradios.com/ProdInfo/Fil...219-manual.pdf

So, how can I go about doing this? I don't have any experience with servos or speed controls other than I know somewhat what their functions are. I have to be able to control the two motors that drive the robot. The fan is on a separate motor and can work going full blast. The robot only climbs about 5 feet up the wall and all of the power is connected by cables because batteries are too heavy for it. Mechanically, the robot works great. Electrically, I have to clamp wires to the fan motor to turn it on, place the robot on the wall, and use two separate controllers for the wheels while another person guides the wires. If I can guide the wires in one hand and use this RC plane controller to control the two motors, I think this should work. I also need to know how to connect all of this stuff up, if that is not too much to ask.

Anyway, thanks if you guys can help.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:47 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Airplane controller to control robot?

That radio operates on the 72 mhz frequency. Using it to control a surface vehicle is illegal and potentially dangerous. Legally you need 27 mhz, 75 mhz, or 2.4 ghz.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 AM
cremley

Is it illegal according to the state or for a competitions point of view? why would it be dangerous? I am completely new at this and I don't want to break a law of some kind or put anyone in danger. This robot will be used inside a building and not entered in any competitions if that helps.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 AM
victorzamora

It's dangerous because you could unknowingly "shoot down" someone's plane without ever knowing it. The plane could cause damage to people or property besides itself and its pilot. There's a reason the FCC has partitioned out frequencies. Only use ground frequencies, dude.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
cremley

Well if it is FCC laws then I won't mess with it. I don't know jack about frequencies or any of this stuff, that's why I asked. Would I be able to replace the frequency thing on the controller to a lower frequency? I think it is called a crystal or something.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:14 AM
cowana

'Fraid not. You can change the frequency by about +-0.5MHz, but no more than that by changing crystals. You need a new radio that is designed for a different frequency.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 AM
chenchen21621
Banned

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" /><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 11" name="Generator" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 11" name="Originator" /><link href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_filelist.xml" rel="File-List" /><o:smarttagtype name="place" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="City" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><wrawingGridVerticalSpacing>7.8 磅</wrawingGridVerticalSpacing><wisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</wisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery><wisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>2</wisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:SpaceForUL /><w:BalanceSingleByteDoubleByteWidth /><woNotLeaveBackslashAlone /><w:ULTrailSpace /><woNotExpandShiftReturn /><w:AdjustLineHeightInTable /><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /><w:UseFELayout /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><objectclassid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object><style>st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }</style><style type="text/css"></style><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:普通表*;mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0cm;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

good luck to you !
my dear friend!!

women gucci shoes

links of <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">london</st1:city></st1lace> accessories

true religion jeans

true religion