RCU Forums - View Single Post - Introducing the new 150cc Ultimate 20-300
Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: Introducing the new 150cc Ultimate 20-300

ORIGINAL: Luv2rcfly

To Aero-Tech support:

I'm planning on getting this plane next week.
My concerns are the control arms using what looks like screws with
thick ca glue.
Will this be strong enough for all out 3-D?
Last thing I need is for the screws to rip out...
Is this config done on Jason's 20-300?

thanks,
Steve
Surely, you mean't Aeroworks support ...Aero-tech might as well be a four-letter-word.

As far as the control arms are concerned, they are steel so they aren't going to break. The area they mount to is ply, top and bottom, and solid balsa as a filler. There are 6 screws attaching each control horn set. I have the 42% 260 with just one servo per elevator, two per wing, and a push-pull on the rudder and have never had a problem in over a year of flying. Bottom line is that there is nothing to worry about here.
My suggestion, however, is to first tap the holes with a dry screw, then wick thin CA into the holes instead of just putting a drop of thick CA on the screw and inserting it. The thin CA definitely makes for a stronger threaded hole.
One thing that you might consider for even more assurance, is to switch out the supplied screws for Dubro #4 screws or #3 servo screws from microfasteners. One reason for this is because they are allen head screws instead of phillips, but they are also a higher quality screw.
Also, if you want to go to the trouble of installing Dubro or Hangar 9 style arms with the threaded rods all the way through the control surface you can do so.