RCU Forums - View Single Post - Which radio system is Better?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 PM
malicent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which radio system is Better?

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I'd go with the FASST radio as the Spektrum doesn't work well on water. I've seen too many people lose their signal.
Ron,

I'd say you saw too many people who didn't properly install the receiver. I have used SR3000's and SR3100's in small outriggers to 750' away, and that's only because it's all the farther I can see on my L-shaped lake (and I can't see it well enough to drive that far away - 300' is plenty far enough). At the hobby shop I've seen receivers from The Other Brand buried in a 1/4 scale car and it was lucky to have 50' range. Poor installs will kill ANY kind of signal - and at 2.4g it's much, much, MUCH easier to screw it up. It's not like you can bury 8" of your 75MHz antenna any more - you have to get the whole active antenna out where the rx and tx and see each other.

With an SR3000 I mount the rx right at the base of the antenna so that the antenna is about as fully extended in the antenna mast as possible. On the SR3100's it's even easier because the active portion of the antenna is only the last 1.5" or so of the 8" antenna, so I can still mount the rx up front and have an arrangement very similar to how it was in the old days of 75MHz. I posted pix of the installs over on the forum at www.OffshoreElectrics.com if you're interested.

That said, Spektrum has a note on their website saying they're working on a Marine system. That should make it even easier to get it right.

Andy

Andy,
In the group i run with 5 of us have gotten rid of the spectrum system due to radio failure, I personally thrown my 2.0 in the trash and my 3.0 in the test pond if you like them so much i have a RX ill sell ya pm me! The fasst system I have had not even one glitch with.

Jeremy