RCU Forums - View Single Post - Your biggest "AHA!" moments in your pattern career?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 PM
1bwana1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Your biggest

The rudder is the devils own surface, sorting out which way to push it causes dyslexia in most people. It was driving me nuts, so one day I spent some time on the simulator and developed a simpleset of rulesfor determining the right way to push my rudder stick. It seems to be a variation of the one mentioned earlier. Here are my rules.

Top Rudder:

1.) If I am looking at the canopy, Top Rudder is moving the stick towards the tail of the plane.

2.) If I am looking at the gear, Top Rudder is moving the stick toward the nose.

No matter which way the plane is flying, no matter whether you are starting the roll from upright, or inverted, these two rules solve the Top Rudder direction. Really simple, and becomes natural very quickly.

Correcting my line:

1.) If the plane is upright going away, watch the nose of the plane. Push the rudder stick the way you want the nose to go.

2.) if the plane is inverted going away, watch the tail of the plane. Push the rudder stick the way you want the tail to go.

3.) If the plane is comming towards you, upright watch thetail, inverted watch the nose. In all cases, push the stick the way the end you are watching needs to go.

Again, all you end up doing is changing which end of the plane you are watching( directing) and push the stick the way you want it to move. It quickly becomes natural, and you end up doing it without even thinking.