RCU Forums - View Single Post - jagdpanther spare track bracket
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: jagdpanther spare track bracket

I'm probably going to get someone's goat with this but here goes anyway. You have provided a photo of a JagdPanther
with a spare track bracket mounted. Your first decision point is: is the bracket on this vehicle original? If yes what do I have the dimensions for? Wheels? there a good point of reference. If I know the dimensions of a Panther wheel with respect to how one measures in this
photo I should be able to arrive at a fairly close measurement of how long and wide the bracket is. It is an easy step to translate that
into a measurement for your model as the bracket is a very simple structure.

As for the depths of the "U" shaped hooks that go through the track holes they are narrow enough to fit and just tall enough to clear the track body so a retaining pin could be inserted. The pin were retained by lengths of chain and I've seen both round and flat retaining pins.
The "U" hooks are just far enough apart so three track links will fit and barely not touch.

Below is a photo of one I did 12 years ago for a 1/10 Panther F I preferred the type not welded but suspended from two bolts on the engine deck.
It may not be 100% but it was close and it is functional as well. I'm presently revising this model to resolve the major fixable departures
from scale as much as can be done. On this particular bracket I just used what was was available for the long backing bar, Iwas lazy...

Check your results from multiple sources and other modelers; even use 1/35 scale references. Dragon's models are quite good.

Don't get frozen because there's no drawing for everything you want to build.

Jerry