RCU Forums - View Single Post - Trainers - How easy are they?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Trainers - How easy are they?

ORIGINAL: crosswinds_swe

If we say; how hard is it for a bigginner to fly (note; with a experienced helper, with a trainingcable maybe) a more advanced model, as the first plane? Lets say a kyosho edge 540. Will this be entirely inpossible?

Howbig are the chances, that one that have some hours in the simulator, would manage to fly a edge 540, as the maiden flight?Note again; with an instructor.
// Daniel

Daniel first off welcome to the forum and the passion. Someday I would love to visit your beautiful country.

The answer to your first question is yes it is possible and folks sometimes will do something such as this with airplanes that are not appropriate airplanes to learn onHoweverWill it shorten your climb up the skills ladder and there is only one answer no it will not, You can count on it lengthening your training period considerably to any given skills level. It will take you far longer than it would have than by starting out with an appropriate airplane. Doing this makes an awful big assumption that you can find an instructor/mentor who will agree to do this and if you do then that fact alone puts that persons creditability in question. Its likely he just wants to learn how to fly your airplane on your dollar.

OK now to your last question and if I read correctly you ask if it you could maiden the airplane on the first flight if you were buddy boxed with an instructor. This one is an emphatic no and it would be very fool hardy. Making a first flight of a new airplane is risky stuff and many maidens I have done can turn into very difficult flights indeed drawing on every skill I can muster and to expect someone to deal with a non pilot on a buddybox and still test/tweek an airplane is just way outside the box.

If someone comes to me and wants a test flight and I choose to do it there is no question it will be with just me and sometimes that may be more than just one flight. Frequently getting an airplane properly set up can take more than just one quick flight. If they are not agreeable to that then they will have to look else where.

John