RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ohio Dawn Patrol 2009
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 AM
WinterHawke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ohio Dawn Patrol 2009

ORIGINAL: Joe Westrich

Lee, I didn't know you owned a plane. I thought you just flew everyone elses
. . . . . . . and another thing . . . . . . . .

Contrary to some vicious rumours floating around that should be beneath me (if there was any room down there, that is) - in fact, I DO happen to own aeroplanes that even fly - as a matter of fact I've reached a pinnacle of sorts with my fleet now consisting of TWO on-topic machines which should be at ODP.

Besides my venerable (some sorta french word meaning old) GP Fokker Dr.1, I think we've sorted out the bugs in my new electric Eastbourne Monoplane. Turns out that someone's soldering techniques are substantially less than adequate on occasion. FINALLY tracked down the intermittant motor cuts - after looking everywhere for some sort of battery/switch/esc problem, it turns out I had a bad solder connection on the motor!! Tried to keep the heat off the motor as much as possible while soldering it, and succeeded all too well.

Got four flights on it this weekend, all with no problems whatsoever - and finally had an opportunity to try it off of short grass, and take-offs and landings are no problem either (so long as I don't get too slow on landing - lotsa drag on all those bracing wires!!).

Gonna be fun with this one at ODP - particularly looking forward to the early morning and late evening, with hopefully calm air.

See y'all in a few weeks!!

'til later,

Lee

p.s. - also looking forward to everyone else's new flying machines - been some nice photos so far of some of them posted on a few threads - can't wait to see them in person!!