RCU Forums - View Single Post - Beginner??? Probably!
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Kennelmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner??? Probably!

Well ladies and gents, I did it! Today I went to LHS and bout a Hanger9 Alpha (40) Trainer. I have always been interested in the hobby and made furtive attempts, and some spectacular figure nines!

Tonite the plane is charging and I will build tomorrow. Then, in the evening, when the wind is down, my son will maiden the bird.

I am going against convention here. I will not have an instructor or buddy box system. I own acerage and have plenty of large fields to fly on. In fact, before a windstorm destroyed my previous (full-scale) bird, I used to fly out of my farm around the countryside. Two things will happen tomorrow. We will end up with toothpicks, or, we will gently fly the Alpha and build the skills we need to progress. Hopefully it is door #2.

Being a retired old coot, I am in no rush. I am, however, fully committed to spend the $ needed to put me in a correct trainer. No offense to the electric advocates but the small two channel foamies just dont give a newbie much of a chance. Something a bit larger and heavier shall be more steady, IMHO.

So, thanks to all who regularly post here. It's your (fault) that I am taki ng the plunge. I love building and have grandious ideas of designing and building my own, as my skills of flying improve. I will continue to scour the pages of this forum since it seems most of you have forgotten more than I will ever know. Thanks for being willing to share your knowledge and encouragement to all us newbies! You guys (and gals) are great!

I'll let you know how Tuesday nite goes!

Paul