Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner??? Probably!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner??? Probably!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Beginner??? Probably!

Having a hard time with this three channel. Tends to dive in the turns. I'm using alot of elevator. Is this normal?
Yes. With a model that has lots of dihedral and uses the rudder to initiate a turn (or even with ailerons) the nose will drop. Keeping some speed up helps, but, depending on the particular model, not much. It's also probably set somewhat nose heavy on purpose.

Even with a full size private airplane you have to act to keep the nose up in a turn. It's a good habit to learn with. I see lots of pilots who picked up "bad" habits of not blending controls and don't have much throttle or rudder finesse.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:46 PM
tmb55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great thread this was. Kennelmaster come back. I'm new to rc planes too, I went theRTF self taught route. $200 and have a perfect 10 for10 flight record. Ten times up and ten crashes. LOL. Props and glue guns are cheap.

Although as some have stated that RTF planes do not help with ownership or sense of accomplisment, ect. I disagree because I would never gotten into the hoppy without a cheap RTF.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Hello JW, I see I asked you twice where you are from, I live under three hundred miles from you. the RCer's I know are from mostly from the I-25 route one end to the other. but if I can help you get started I will! I would even teach you with my trainer and radio's! It is a hobby once in and trained it will give you years of friends and R&R Just let me know how I can help! Bob
Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 PM
JW0311

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Hello JW, I see I asked you twice where you are from, I live under three hundred miles from you. the RCer's I know are from mostly from the I-25 route one end to the other. but if I can help you get started I will! I would even teach you with my trainer and radio's! It is a hobby once in and trained it will give you years of friends and R&R Just let me know how I can help! Bob

Thanks Bob! I willkeep that in mind. I have not been able to fly lately. Wheather front moving through. Thanks for all your help thus far.

James
Old 09-15-2009, 12:34 AM
hairy46

No problem James will be happy to help! Bob
Old 09-19-2009, 10:00 PM
JW0311

Had some great flights today! Of course it ended with a big crash. I feel like i'm getting a grip on the turns using just the rudder and elevator. Still have to focus real hard on keeping the nose up. Plane is in the shop while the glue sets. Ripped the wing in half. Not sure if this plane can take much more. I feel like I have a long way to go before i'm an RC pilot but I could'nt  help but thinking about what's next. So I'll throw it out there, What's next? Should I think about were I want to go as far as Large scale, Ducted fan, turbines, sport and so on? Should I gear a Second plane twards that. Should I stick with 3 ch. or go 4ch.? So many options so little money. where should I be as far as skill before I think about another plane?  What do you think?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't think too much about giant scale or ducted fans until you get 20 consecutive landings that don't require bending over multiple times to recover the aircraft. A four channel high-wing trainer would be a good choice. Personally, I found four channels easier than three . . . mainly because I had an instructor when I first tried four channels.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:05 PM
hairy46

Hello James, Sounds like a good day except for the crash! Next go to a trainer with the four channels, You can dream right now of where you want to go but take it slow and get to know and fly the trainers till you feel you are very comfortable with them then move to a midwing or a low wing trainer type plane, then the sky is the limit besides the wallet! I always knew from the beginning that I was going to go to War-birds and that is my love of the hobby, Have 6 of them now. If you go with them then maybe you will be able to make War-birds over the Rockies next year! But for now take it slow and if there is anything I can do to help please let me know! Wow was the weather great out here today, I flew from before 7am to after 1pm and could have stayed out later but had work at the house to do, darn work at the house to do! Take care! Bob
Old 09-20-2009, 12:34 AM
JW0311

Thanks guys!! I was just looking at one of the nextSTAR planes. RTF nitro trainer. Looks like it might do the trick. Comes with sim and controler that will hook up for a buddy box. I also love the war birds and would love to go that route. Both old and new. Love the f-4u and would love to build one. Like the Jets as well. Have always liked the phantom (f-4 also). Seems like the skies the limit!! Or maybe my wallet is the limit. Just found that my prop shaft is bent. Dang it!!!! Oh well would rather spend money on this than my kids education. Right?