RCU Forums - View Single Post - the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless
Old 07-14-2009, 02:30 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

GAH...

After checking out the only two hobby stores locally that carry R/C gear, and finding no stuffers AT ALL, I decided I might be able to pull the bushings from the damaged tube and pop 'em into a matching 12" piece of K&S brass (9/32" - #132).

Well... I got home, and began to split the tube... and split it... and split it... and before I got to the bushing, I was right through the d*mned tube! There were no oilites, or bronzes, or whatever. It was just two sleeved sections of more K&B tubing! I guess the original builder had made a custom set of stuffers, and used sleeved brass tubing for two sizes up from the 3/16" OD shafts, then the 3rd size up became the outer stuffer tube. It explains the odd distance (1 3/4") from end of tube to the oiler point, and why that item couldn't be matched in any supplier! (Dumas's are 1/2" in)

I have some scrap brass of the next size down from the 9/32" outer tube (which is 1/4" OD aka 8/32") but need the next size up from the shaft (3/16" aka 6/32"), that being 7/32" OD. Shame to buy a whole 12" section, but I can use it and the damaged 9/32 stuffer to make the new oilers! And with the shafts out, I've thought up a better design that won't be prone to snapping off. As luck has it, Canadian Tire has some Iroki butane mini-torches on sale, which gives me a decent set of excuses to spring for it.

Net cost? The 9/32" set me back $3.30 (after taxes) and the 7/32" will cost me a bit less - call it $6.50 Cdn, plus any butane I burn when I solder the sleeving in place, less the leftover tubing (bought & salvaged). Cheaper than the $20 US for a 12" Dumas, eh?

I MAY have her ready for Saturday AFTER all... if so, I'll take pics, and try to get some video. and yea, this is kinda on-topic, because the Dauntless is only slightly shorter, but with a rounder displacement hull, but will use a near-identical drive system. The only variable would be the rugdders & the propellors (though with my foresight, I can interchange all my props - M4 for the win!)