RCU Forums - View Single Post - DL50 what oil ratio?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: DL50 what oil ratio?

I'm just saying that I know of 2 instances where engines needed support. But the manufacturer refused, saying it was an oil related issue. You can guess how far they got when they approached the oil manufacturer about the problem. I.e - sorry about your bad luck.

I tend to be one of those people with a little common sense. I READ manufacturers instruction manuals....... and I take it with a grain of salt. I use my own common sense to make my decisions on what oil I use and what ratio. I don't care what the manufacturer of the engine says. Not saying they are dumb. Just saying I'm smart enough to make my own good decisions, based on my experience and a few brain cells.

Take DA for instance:
For years they recommended Lawnboy ashless at 32:1 as a break in oil. I don't know if they still recommend that oil or not.

But MODELERS who actually use the product have come to the conclusion that Lawnboy ashless is one of the WORSE oils you can use on a brand new engine. It leaves sludge deposits that will eventually turn to carbon. Thats not ME saying that. Thats our peers on this forum. They've taken engines apart and inspected them after using Lawnboy. I'm not making this up.

And what do guys say about Lawnboy now? I'd venture a guess that 90% of them would NOT recommend Lawnboy for break in of ANY 2-stroke.

So why does/did DA put that recommendation in the manual of their expensive engines? Because, at the time they initially made that recommendation, they knew it would work.

Does that mean it's the best thing to put in your engine for break in? No. Will it work? Sure. It'll work. But for the $700+ price tag of a DA50, I'd put something of higher quality in it for those first few gallons. I'd put the BEST quality oil I thought I could find. Not some Lawnboy crap thats made for a lawnmower. Good common sense tells me that stuff will clog up my ring grooves and start sludge build up.

So thats one situation where I'd take the instruction manual with a grain of salt. Just because the engine manufacturer puts it in the manual..... that don't make it gospel.