RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gauging interest, Hellcat group build
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

I have been working on an idea for a group build aimed at the beginning warbird builder and would like to know if there is enough interest in the idea to move forward. Basically this would be a step by step build of one of my own designs from start to finish. Along the way I would provide hints, tips, and tricks that I've learned over the years and, hopefully, the thread would draw the interest of other experienced builder who would offer up there input as well. The aircraft chosen is a 65" F6F Hellcat which is currently underway, see pics below. The plan is to fly the prototype in primer to make sure the design is sound and then the group build can start. I've taken several hundred pictures thus far of the build which will be used to illustrate the thread. In order to keep the thread interesting for everyone I will not post every step of the build here but will, instead, build a web site dedicated to the Hellcat. The idea is to hit the major high points here on RC Universe and keep it interesting even for those who may not be building along. The web site would then provide a blow by blow for those involved in the build. I have begun a similar web site for the construction of my Yak-11 which can be seen at this link to give an idea of what I have in mind: www.yak.cwvmodels.com

While the group gets started building I will continue with the finishing of the prototype and the build will cover all aspects of glassing, surface detail, painting, weathering, etc. Right up through to test flying if all goes as planned.

A laser cut short kit will be available for the Hellcat as well as vacuum formed parts such as the cowl, canopy, drop tank, gear doors, etc. The airplane is designed to use off the shelf retracts and other components that are readily available.

The Hellcat was chosen because it is a relatively simple build, has great proportions for a warbird, and they generally make great flyers. The span is 65 inches, 1/8 scale, and I hope to come in around 9-10 pounds on the prototype. My airplane will start out with a .61 two stroke as I think it will be plenty of power and fits totally concealed in the cowl upright. (KISS principal) I think it would also make a great electric conversion for those interested. In keeping with the KISS principal the flaps have been omitted as they add complexity and weight that I don't think is necessary. Based on my experience if the airplane is under 10 pounds flaps will be totally unecessary.

Anyway, if there is enough interest in the idea ( And the airplane flies! ) I will expound with more details and begin preparations for the group build. Let me know what you think. If the idea is successful I have other designs on the board (or already flying) that I would like to group build as well. Looking forward to your input on this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	F6F_SHEET1.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2238485

Name:	F6F_SHEET2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2238486

Name:	FQTR_7-24.jpg