RCU Forums - View Single Post - the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Hi Joe,

Here is the long winded version of: “Good choice!”

“I am a huge fan” of Astroflight motors for larger performance oriented scale boats such as Dauntless. These motors produce good speeds without going “overboard.” Meaning, your boat will still go fast, but not fast enough to look like a toy. They are also very powerful which is ideal for larger & heavier boats like Dauntless that need to get on plane in a hurry. This is due to their minimal loss under load along with their power output to weight ratio. For the amount of power they produce, they are more efficient than many of the cheap motors on the market that produce the same no load RPM’s. This also keeps the AMPS down thus reserving some much needed battery power for those big motors. But keep in mind; these motors still have an appetite for battery power.

Astroflight has a great reputation for using quality materials in their products; they also implement very good quality control, so it is no surprise the motors are also well known for their reliability.

Although Astroflight discontinued making the brushed version of the 25’s and 40’s, they still make replacement brushes, etc for them so there is no need to toss them out like most other brands when the brushes become worn over time. They will also service any of their motors upon request regardless of age. It is difficult to find that kind of service with most motor manufacturers these days. I find this unique, because being that we live in a disposable society, their motors are designed not to be disposable, so the longer you own them, the more they pay for themselves, discontinued or otherwise.

And if it means anything these days, they are “Made in the U.S.A” (Southern California) and not subcontracted off to China like everything else we see.

A while back I helped a guy on RCUniverse to obtain information about Astroflight motors. He was located in the Middle East and he wanted to learn more about the motors in a boat he was restoring for someone. One of the questions was on voltage the motors required to test the motors. The model number was different than the models seen today and the styling suggested they were pretty old. I called Astroflight on his behalf to learn that his motors were over 20 year’s old and discontinued a long time ago. They stated that you could still order parts for them or they can service them if requested. Low and behold, once I relayed the info back to the guy & he attached them to a 12V battery. The motors started right up and ran beautifully. This is just an example of the commitment Astroflight has toward its product as well as the longevity of the product.

**I am not affiliated with Astroflight in any way shape or form. I am just stating my personal opinions and experiences with a company that I had positive experiences with.

-Rich.