RCU Forums - View Single Post - the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless
Old 08-21-2009, 09:21 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Rich:

I know that color-match feeling. Having serious match problems with the yellow on my 'Theodore Tugboat' (a custom pseudo-replica of the kid's show tugboat) and I've a feeling its Caterpillar yellow, which is impossible to get unless you work in a Cat repair dealership. I know where one of the local depots is, and may try to snag a pint (or spray-can or two) from 'em.

On the Dauntless front (finally) I knuckled down and trimmed the bottom-aft hull plates where they meet the sides, in preparation for adding the aft sides. Now I see I'm supposed to do the bottom-forward area with the A/B/C pieces first. I'm missing a C plank, but can make do, but in looking at how they mount, realised the front of my bottom-aft plates are sufficiently forward of the frame that I need to mount the 'glue-brace' to the hull, not the frame. Add to that the fact that the plate is supposed to be flex'd slightly at that point to conform to the frame/hull curve, so i had to pause and glue the front of the hull plate to the frame.

Yes, promised pics, will try to organize, label, and post 'em this weekend, or after my repeat iron infusion Monday (which hopefully will 'Energizer bunny' me as the former one dinna)

Also stripped the AE's superstructure with the last of the Circa 1850 gel... I dinna realise what a mess mixing paint types on a hull can do when you go back to renovate (wasn't me) Only downside to the gel is it damages the wood-filler, but I've got lots here, and have some Mighty Putty on the way (eBay, $7.50 for 3 tubes, shipped)

Gonna look into a small grease-gun as I've got both four-footers that are gonna have 'nipples', and possibly some of the smaller ones too.

I know the feeling on the "It tells you how it wants to be built" deal... And its usually when you're halfway into a way it doesn't want to be built, too! Think most construction efforts have an architect/designer named 'Murphy', eh?

PS: You still out there Butch?
I'm still awaiting that shipping estimate. My pal in the US said sure, no problem, soon as you let me know, I PayPal him the $, and he sends you the cheque in US funds from within the US. I did an estimate, and even with PayPal fees, its ~still~ cheaper than getting a money order on this side! Isn't that rediculous?