RCU Forums - View Single Post - the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless
Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Hi Whitewolf ,

I think I may have found the Caterpiller yellow you are looking for. Rust-oleum makes it in spray paint form and they call it “Cat” yellow. It is considered farm equipment paint. Check with a local hardware store chain in your area that carries Rust-oleum spray paint and see if they have it or if they can order it for you, just give them the paint name & model number which is: Model # 7449-830. Good luck getting it; I know how frustrating it is to find a specific color. "It's neva round' when ya need it!"

Here is the link:

[link]http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-industrial-spray-paint/rust-oleum-farm-equipment-paint-510944.aspx[/link]

Hello All: update:

I was able to find the navy blue paint for Dauntless which was also made by Rust-oleum. The hull was painted and came out really nice. The color tone is gorgeous but because it only came in gloss, the hull has a shiny glass finish. (I am sure that most people would approve the glass look..it does look really nice!) As great as it looked, I lightly sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper and gave it another few coats and it is currently lookin’ good. I am going to sand again, give it one final good coat and again, lightly sand just to remove the shine.

I am currently waiting for the lettering for the back of the boat to come in. I submitted the specifications to be made up. The guy, or company seems a little slow so, I hope he sends the proof to me soon so I can either tweek or approve it, which will be done by e-mail. I am about to go into busy season at work, so I need it finalized ASAP so he can send it to me.

The finished product will be a water slide decal for the back of the boat featuring her name and original port of call, done in 22-24k gold lettering with black outline.. Once it is in place and cured, I am going to clear coat the “blue” in a satin finish which should hopefully tone down the glass like shine while protecting the lettering on the stern which will also be under clear coat. When I inquired about the lettering, I was told that when the decal is clear coated, it disappears into the finish, giving it the professional look of the painted letting found on full sized boats & yachts. Oh yes.... I made sure the satin finish clear coat was compatible to this paint before getting it...

I am going to hold off on posting pictures until this is complete.

During all this, I have been working on the cabins getting it together for paint as well. No custom colors there, so it should be pretty straight forward, just satin finished light grey & white while the bottom paint remains flat red.

-Rich.