View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

ORIGINAL: Wizard61
Chad,

Hellcat is looking fantastic. 10 pounds is light. Some of the scaled out CMP hellcats were 13 to 14 pounds if I remember right. I am really looking forward to the group build.
Thanks James, at 10 pounds the Hellcat will have a wing loading of 35 ounces / square foot. That's not bad for a .60-.90 size single engine fighter. The Ki-61 has a wing loading of around 37 oz/sq. foot and is a very gentle flyer so no reason the think the Hellcat will be any different.

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan

Open cowl vents..... yes![sm=thumbup.gif] It looks great Chad and you are spot on with keeping it lightweight.
What method do you prefer as far as glassing,... the waterbased or the z-poxy method?
And what color scheme are you thinking about on this bad boy?
Catch ya later and have a wonderful weekend,
John
John, I've tried the waterbased stuff and liked the results but I prefer epoxy resin. I normally use Z-Poxy but I like the West Systems and the Bob Smith stuff just as well. To be honest, if I was not doing this as a group build I might have used silk and dope on the Hellcat as I like it too.

Below are the three color schemes I'm considering but I'm really leaning towards the overall bright red drone at this point.

ORIGINAL: Doolittleraider

Man Chad your work is extrodinairy! If it was over 80'' I would have joined in!
All the best,
Peter Miller
Thanks for the kudos Peter. Sounds like somebody needs to start a group build of the Bates Hellcat as lots of guys are interested in a big one.