RCU Forums - View Single Post - the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless
Old 08-30-2009, 12:33 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Dammit...

I ~really~ hate Dumas for using cheap ply... the extreme bow sections of the A planks have delaminated and come apart forward of the 2nd frame, so I'm going to have to cross-plank the ~whole~ bow section, not just the upper section. Its that, or stuff a Balsa block in either side and trim it down to match the necessary contour - Not a pleasant idea.

Add to that the bad stock fit of the planking. The 1st C plank isn't even close to the right shape, and needs a nice bevel-chunk cut out of one end to match the B-plank. I contemplated ripping all the C's in half, then flexing 'em slightly like I did with the B's... If it is too rough/messy by the Time I get to the keel, I may just pull it all back off (the fore-part that is) and use the surplus-balsa to plank it after all.

Hmmm... I could use flower-arranging styrofoam blocks to fill the bow, then overplank ~that~ to get the right shape. And as I'm using thinned-Epoxy to seal it, I could use thin balsa planking over it...

We'll have to see... and gotta look the those plans. All my poster-carry roll-tubes are the last possibility...

Update: The plans WERE in the transport tubes. I remember that I'd prepared 'em to be copied and laminated a while back, and never got to it. Will try to get off my butt and do it tomorrow (along with having a few other things laminated too)

Thanks Joe, DF - no rush for the plans now, but I ~would~ like a digital copy anyway, just for safety, and if I have 'em scanned it'll set me back at least $30.