RCU Forums - View Single Post - the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless
Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

oh BOTHER!

I test-fitted the planks before I started gluing 'em down, and I would have ~sworn~ the A-strip was the one to be glued closest the keel, then the B, and finally the trio of C's, the last C-plank being placed where the spray-rail divides the side from the bottom of the hull. Now in looking at the plans, I see I've got 'em reversed, and that the A's were outboard at the spray rail, with the B's in the middle, and the final C's meeting at the keel.

Where the instructions said to start with the A-plank, I'd have ~assumed~ one would start at the keel, and move outward, right? You'd glue the A's either side of the keel, and they fit nicely, as do the B's beside it. But the first C needs significant trimming down one end...

Now the question becomes: Should I try to pull the A & B planks up, and start over, or continue as I'm doing? And if I continue, should I rip the C's in half to make 'em conform better as I thought before?

Did anyone reverse-plank it as I have done? (aka, placed the A's inboard at the keel?)

PS: If I pull 'em back off the hull frames, I'm gonna toss 'em, and rip some 1/2" to 1" balsa strips, and use them to plank it. Be easier to flex 'em and taper 'em to the hull too.

Thoughts guys?