RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gauging interest, Hellcat group build
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

No pictures or video today but I did log flight #2 and everything worked perfectly. I'm very, very happy with the airplane at this point. The only changes between flights 1 and 2 were some minor adjustments to the tailwheel and I took out 1oz of nose weight. I still think I'm plenty far forward on the CG but the airplane really grooves well where it's at so I may just leave it alone. One nice thing for you grass flyers, the Hellcat has absolutely no tendency to go over on its' nose. I would have logged flight #3 except that the engine backfired on start up and spun off the prop, nut, and prop washer. Unfortunately, 30 minutes of searching failed to locate the prop washer and I did not have a spare in the flight box. Hope to have it out again on Saturday and then I will probably tear it down and start the finish work.

ORIGINAL: aerowoof
Chad,
meant to ask what size prop and rpm you have on the .61 and what is your elevation?
I'm using a 12x7 APC on the Hellcat right now but may try a 13x5 or 13x6 just for the heck of it. I've not checked RPM, I'll try and remember to do that next time I fly. I am in the Phoenix area, elevation about 1100' ASL. It was about 95 degrees today and the Hellcat still performed very well.

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan

Chad, got a question..on the second link in your above post, the red F6 has some kind of different wingtips that Ive never seen before. Got any info on those and why they are that way ?
Also, shoot me an email with appx prices on what your kit's gonna cost please, if you have time.
Did you and Jerry hook up at the flying field? I was wondering if he made it since he ran thru all our rain down here, he may have rusted and stuck together or something!??[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] We love ya JER!!!
John
John,
The strange wing tips were apparently used to dispense flares to simulate jet exhaust when testing the (then) new Sidewinder air-to-air missile. Apparently the old R-2800 up front didn't generate enough heat to attract the Sidewinders! The source of the that information, and the pictures as well, can be found at the link below which also includes other interesting tidbits about drone Hellcats.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...assed+hellcats

Jerry and I did not meet up yesterday as I called off flying due to the high winds. I did talk to him on the phone and he sounded OK so at least his jaw is not rusted shut or anything! Our club is having an electric fly-in this weekend that he should be attending so I'll probably run into him some time in the next few days.