RCU Forums - View Single Post - Who builds high quality ARFs
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 09:00 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who builds high quality ARFs

I have two ARFs in my hanger - a Fliton Edge 540 Freestyle and a new Pilot RC 30% Yak 54.

From a quality standpoint, both planes are well constructed, although the Fliton took some reinforcing around the engine mount to handle a glow engine. In the long term I've been dissappointed with the covering. It looked great out of the box, but has proven somewhat fragile. The fiber glass landing gear are a real weak spot in this plane, and started delaminating after only a few flights. I love the plane - its very light, and flies extremely well.

The Pilot RC Yak hasn't flown yet, but putting it together has been impressive. Its built for a 50CC gasser. Every bolt hole lined up well, the structure of the engine box and landing gear are strong. The instructions left a lot to be desired, but new instructions were recently published and downloaded. This plane is also built light, with a lot of 1/8" lite-ply, but I'm very optimistic of the flight characteristics based on other reports.

Bottom line, if you're looking for quality ARFs, don't discount Fliton or Pilot RC. I purchased the Yak from Troy Built Models, and I think they have a pretty good line of quality ARFs.

Remember, you get what you pay for. You either pay someone else well, or you spend a lot of elbow grease.

Brad