RCU Forums - View Single Post - Interested in Starting Out in Tank
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Interested in Starting Out in Tank

ORIGINAL: Rob_ac05

I do have one question though. If the Tamiya tanks are worth the price, why not run the Tamiya's in the shallow water, mud and snow? Is it you just don't want to ruin the best looking one? I could understand that, but if the HL is more tough duty, like the Ford 150's then I would think its a better buy, lol. Or is it the IR system that is not robust enough?

I think I'm leaning towards the HL, definitely with the metal engine, gearbox. Also thinking about the metal tracks.
Think of the HL as the work truck you got for a song, that didn't cost you too much, so you don't have a lot to loose is something happens to it. The Tamiya is the new Chevy Sierra 2500 that you just got off the dealers lot (Dark grey, extended cab, 4 X 4 with chrome wheels and black brush guards....ahhhh). Both will do the same job... (BTW the H L is NOT tougher than the Tamiya but the Tam IS tougher than the H L). But what are you willing to put in harms way and risk getting damaged in muh snow and water??? A H L board is very cheap compared to Tamiya. I have several spares that I sell from time to time out of Heng Longs that I converted to Tamiya. I'm doing a HL Panzer IV converstion to a custom Jagdpanzer IV Lang (low-profile, not the high-profile from the conversion kit). The main thing on the two is the HL electronics are higher up in the tank and dryer and the battery in in a low baox that can get wet. The Tamiyas electronic (DMD & MF units) are low, vulnerable and pricey! It is much easier to clean the HL than the Tamiya too. Do not put any tank away with mud, dirt, etc... in the treads. Clean them before storage or they will dry to a cake that will destroy your gearbox and tracks (just like the did in Staligrad). H L s break tracks often depending on the type of tank. Tiger I, Pantiger, Stug Pzr III & IV all the time (many need the pins to be glued/CA'd in place for serious IR battling). M26 & Jagdpanther rarely break. I've never seen a Tamiya break a track. Pins come loose yes, but never break. HL are hard plastic and stiff. Tamiya are a softer plastic and stretch just enough not to break apart. My Pzr III is fast like a sports car and loves to throw tracks due to aggressive driving (see pix). I'm developing a flexible tesnioner instead of the rigid but adjustable that I use now. The Tamiya IR is the best.... the HL is fuctional and cheap to use.
I know I'm throwing a lot at you but I wany you and your buddies to have fun and get into a great hobby loaded with fun, history and most of all, a great group of gentlemen to RC wtih.

Good luck and think it through..... Bob thecommandernj
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54006.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1297279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10967.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1297280   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26264.jpg
Views:	20