RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)
Old 11-15-2009, 01:51 PM
lojik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

Hey lojik..Congrats on your new plane and hope you enjoy it!!

I've hesitated to say this but I noticed something in one of your photos that concerns me a little...I personally would not use that barrell/screw connector which I see on your elevator servo arm (circled in red in the photo below)

Maybe you (and others) have used them in the past with good results?? Maybe it will be just fine and is common practice on smaller planes?? Maybe it will work well on the Osmose?? But it just looks a little too sketchy too me...I feel the use of that connector on a *control surface* for this category airplane may be a bad idea because the loads are too high...Using it on the throttle should be just fine as the loads are not very high and do not ever really change....But a control surface is a totally different situation in my opinion...

Now maybe you've ground a notch in the wire for the screw ''to lock into'' and there is no possibility of slipping?? That would be a different story and I could live with that plus a little lock-tite on the screw...But otherwise I would not trust the screw holding the wire and have noticed them slip in the past...You can't really tighten those things very well when using a 2/56 wire or larger either...

I'm not trying to offend you!! I just happened to notice that and it scares me a little so I thought I'd mention it....

Maybe that is what the manual tells you to do?? Maybe your 110% comfortable with it and have used that method in the past with success?? Then it's all Good...

Enjoy your plane!!

Thank you for the warning Atlanta, I am more than happy to take advice from anyone on here, personally I have used the connector with no problems on my scale models in the past and yes I do notch the rod with my dremel and lock tight the screw in place. I will keep a close eye on it and see how it fairs. I may melt a copper cover onto the end to ensure it does not slip or if it does it wont go far.