RCU Forums - View Single Post - the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Hey Whitewolf,

Dauntless also had stain wood trim on the deck as well. It looked like it could be used by the deckhand's foot for leverage while docking the boat. It will be added once the next coat of paint is done on deck.

Yesterday I worked on the helm & polyeurathaned the solid mahogany woodwork. Tonight, I will make up the throttle levers and plexiglass for the helm. Until I find out more, there will be a black background under the plexiglass. This would likely have been Dauntlesses instrument panel. Once I find out more, I can easily go back and detail it. The throttles were chrome on the full sized but I will be using chrome spray paint with red & black accents. Once I finish up these pieces, all I need is a wooden shipswheel & the helm is ready for installation. I lucked out when I originally bought the kit because some of the fittings were broken. I called up dumas & they sent me a full replacement fittings set giving me more fittings to play with. Dumas gave us 2 thrttles for Dauntless whereas it really needed 4 so I am covered. I plan on cutting a 1/2" dowel in half to make part of the throttle unit.

All of the wiring for the forecastle, main cabin and navigation lighting will travel through the helm to various contact plates under the floor.

On another note, I am hoping to take Dauntless to my inlaws wood shop over the weekend to get it painted.

-Rich.