RCU Forums - View Single Post - Balsa USA Eindecker 90 build.
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA Eindecker 90 build.

Brown Truck Santa was running a few days behind but today he delivered my Christmas gift to myself.

After opening the box the first thing I did was unroll the plans to roll them inside out so they would flat and thats when it hit me. This is a very large plane! Much bigger than my 4*60. Well, so much for my 48" building table. So I made the trek to Home Depot, 30 second drive to pick me up a hollow core door to put on top of my 48" folding table in my teeny tiny apartment. Of course now, I can't get out without crawling under the building board. [X(]
Dude at Home Depot was very cool and when I told him I wanted a damaged HC door to build an RC plane on, he walked straight over to the regular doors and told me to take my pick. Gave me 10% off and the door cost me $23.40. Have a feeling he has heard of other RCers looking for the same sort of door.

I have been wanting to build this kit for about 6 months now and have used the search function enough to crash RCUs server to learn everthing I can about this build. However, I haven't learned alot and have only found one build thread and those guys have alot of building experiance, much more than I so I may have alot of questions for yall.

Allthough this is not a true scale plane, I will want to build up the LG more scale like than just the two wires included with the kit. If anybody has any suggestions, please suggest away!

The first step in the instructions is to build the fuselage. I will be powering the plane with a Saito 100 GK and is there anyting I need to plan ahead for in advance? Moving the firewall, adding thrust angles etc?

I read where someone who used the stock cowl fiberglassed the inside to strenghten it. I'm totally lost there. Any "How To's" on that?

Ill be breaking from the norm on the cowl I think. Insted of using aluminum, or tape, I plane on using the beefed up stock cowl and hand forming some 0.003" thick brass shim stock I have at work. Back in the olden days before aluminum alot of things were made of hand formed brass or copper and then silver soldered together. I played around a little with that and I really like that look, especially when tarnished and old looking. [8D] And since I may have the brass/copper look going on, Im thinking of doing the rigging in the same fashion. Sliver soldered brass or copper, aged.

Covering will NOT be Monocrap. I'm leaning towards Solortex and know very liitle about it except what I have read here. And thats not much. Ill look on Youtube here in a minute.

About all I can think of untill I start busting some wood out and making a mess on my carpet. Thank God I'm single! My ex would never let me do this. [X(]

Thanks for listening and could use all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42277.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1344464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34357.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1344465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29664.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	91.7 KB