RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)
Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

Just wanted to pass this along an incident which happened to me yesterday...It was actually on my Oxalys 50 and not the Osmose but the fuel tanks are very similar:

It was the first flight of the day and I had assembled the plane after doing my usual pre-flight inspection...I have a YS 45 FR engine on the Oxalys which has been running flawless to this point...I started it up and per my usual practice let it idle for a little bit to let it warm up before running it up...When it came time to run it up it stumbled during transition and almost died at full throttle so I thought what the heck?? I brought it back to idle and died...After that it would start and idle but no transition?? Finally I noticed fuel dripping from what I thought was the cowling and I figured I must have loaded it up...As I picked the plane up to clear out the tuned pipe I noticed fuel really pouring out of the fuse and running down the bellypan...I knew something was obviously wrong and figured I must have split the fuel tank or busted a line...

Come to find out the fuel tank stopper had pushed out of the tank!! When I got home I found the bolt had stripped allowing the rubber to relax which in turn dumped all the fuel into the fuse...Fortunately it was pretty contained and I had fuel proofed the forward half of the fuse...I think it will be OK in the long run as most of the fuel drained right out and didn't get sloshed around the fuse too much...

I just wanted to pass that along...The tank in the Oxalys is a little smaller than the one in the Osmose but they have the same fuel stopper and associated hardware...It's metal so I thought it might be pretty good...But apparently it's pretty cheesy metal... [:@]

Glad I fuel proofed!! Glad I wasn't flying so the fuel got sloshed around to the tail which I haven't fuel proofed!! It definalty worked out for the best and I now have a Dubro tank installed plus one to go in my Osmose which is under construction...

Just my .02 cents worth..

Chuck