Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

Old 11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

Hey lojik..Congrats on your new plane and hope you enjoy it!!

I've hesitated to say this but I noticed something in one of your photos that concerns me a little...I personally would not use that barrell/screw connector which I see on your elevator servo arm (circled in red in the photo below)

Maybe you (and others) have used them in the past with good results?? Maybe it will be just fine and is common practice on smaller planes?? Maybe it will work well on the Osmose?? But it just looks a little too sketchy too me...I feel the use of that connector on a *control surface* for this category airplane may be a bad idea because the loads are too high...Using it on the throttle should be just fine as the loads are not very high and do not ever really change....But a control surface is a totally different situation in my opinion...

Now maybe you've ground a notch in the wire for the screw "to lock into" and there is no possibility of slipping?? That would be a different story and I could live with that plus a little lock-tite on the screw...But otherwise I would not trust the screw holding the wire and have noticed them slip in the past...You can't really tighten those things very well when using a 2/56 wire or larger either...

I'm not trying to offend you!! I just happened to notice that and it scares me a little so I thought I'd mention it....

Maybe that is what the manual tells you to do?? Maybe your 110% comfortable with it and have used that method in the past with success?? Then it's all Good...

Enjoy your plane!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31196.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1314624  
Old 11-15-2009, 01:51 PM
lojik

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

Hey lojik..Congrats on your new plane and hope you enjoy it!!

I've hesitated to say this but I noticed something in one of your photos that concerns me a little...I personally would not use that barrell/screw connector which I see on your elevator servo arm (circled in red in the photo below)

Maybe you (and others) have used them in the past with good results?? Maybe it will be just fine and is common practice on smaller planes?? Maybe it will work well on the Osmose?? But it just looks a little too sketchy too me...I feel the use of that connector on a *control surface* for this category airplane may be a bad idea because the loads are too high...Using it on the throttle should be just fine as the loads are not very high and do not ever really change....But a control surface is a totally different situation in my opinion...

Now maybe you've ground a notch in the wire for the screw ''to lock into'' and there is no possibility of slipping?? That would be a different story and I could live with that plus a little lock-tite on the screw...But otherwise I would not trust the screw holding the wire and have noticed them slip in the past...You can't really tighten those things very well when using a 2/56 wire or larger either...

I'm not trying to offend you!! I just happened to notice that and it scares me a little so I thought I'd mention it....

Maybe that is what the manual tells you to do?? Maybe your 110% comfortable with it and have used that method in the past with success?? Then it's all Good...

Enjoy your plane!!

Thank you for the warning Atlanta, I am more than happy to take advice from anyone on here, personally I have used the connector with no problems on my scale models in the past and yes I do notch the rod with my dremel and lock tight the screw in place. I will keep a close eye on it and see how it fairs. I may melt a copper cover onto the end to ensure it does not slip or if it does it wont go far.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:01 AM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

I've been using the same type of connectors for more than 20 years in various sizes of planes.
It is a whole lot better than Z-bend on easiness.
Never had one coming loose. I do check them occasionally.

I do use them on pattern planes if I don't use ballbearing clevis/adjuster.

Kyosho and several other manufacturers' ARFs come with those most of the times. It is much better than those Dubro/GP ones that use steel/plastic washer on the back.

World model has two different sizes (height and wire diameter).

Just make sure to put a little locktite on the nut. If there is a flat washer, make sure to use it.
Drilling the servo horn for correct size make it work really good.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
flutter caused it

Dear Atlanta; Good advise on the "barrel connector". Im just about finished with my Osmose and thought I would check the forum to see how other planes like mine were looking. I personally would never use that connector on any control service. Sure there are those who will claim that they have used this connector succesfully for hundreds of flight with no problems, but it is very "sketchy". There are too many other viable alternatives, the barrel connector being the worst. I'd much rather see the end of the rod bent at a 90 degree angle with a plastic "keeper" at the bare minimum.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 AM
flutter caused it

Hello fellow osmose enthusiast, I've just completed my Osmose today. Total all up weight is 5.37 lbs. I think that is pretty light (give me some input). I built mine using Evolutions new 40 size 60 two stroke. I mounted the fuel tank in the rearward position and am using a Perry pump. I broke the engine in today. I took a few minutes to figure out just how to adjust the pump, but it was worth the wait. My sideways mounted 60 runs like a sewing machine. Good solid idle with a great transistion to full rpms. I will start with a 12/6 prop and see how she likes it. Mounting the 60 sideways meant that my Macs pipe follows the fusealge tunnel with no cutting for any part of the muffler. I intentionally used the 60 engine in an attempt to keep the Osmose as light as possible. I also used a HS 81 throttle servo, exchanged the elevator rod for a carbon fiber rod system. I trashed all of the plastic/nylon clevises and added Sullivan metal ones. She will not be a hanger queen, as I plan on the maiden tomorrow afternoon (micro biology test in the morn, argh). I'l take some preflight pics. Will also try to remember to bring my video camera and post videos on youtube.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 AM
Nathan_L

I'm about 75% thru putting my Osmose together.

I'm down to deciding what to do for an engine. I had wanted to use a YS .63 but they aren't available right now and the new ones (the YS .70) are still a few months out according to Central Hobbies so I'm not sure what to do now.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 AM
CustomPC

ORIGINAL: Nathan_L

I'm about 75% thru putting my Osmose together.

I'm down to deciding what to do for an engine. I had wanted to use a YS .63 but they aren't available right now and the new ones (the YS .70) are still a few months out according to Central Hobbies so I'm not sure what to do now.

I've got one of the OS FS .72a 4-strokes on my Great Planes Big Stik 40 which weighs in at 5.57lb and with a 12x7 prop spinning at approx 10,800 it really hauls it around.

I was thinking of trying the same engine in an Osmose 70 but i am also thinking that the OS FS .81a with pump might be a better choice with the inverted install and tank on the CofG.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Nathan_L

I'm not a big fan of OS 4 strokes. I have a Saito .72 but I need to put new bearings in it. By the time you buy an OS or Saito and then get a pump (of course I already have a heavy supply of pumps ...for 2 strokes lol) you are already past what a YS cost.

So basically it's down to find a used YS .63 or put in the Saito .72 with a pump or even maybe an OS .55 with a pump (which I already have).
Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
flutter caused it

Ok, so I thought I could figure out my wing loading on my Osmose, but I cant seem to crunch the numbers. Can anyone tell me how to calculate my wing loading. My plane has a wing area of 552 sq in. Weight is 87 oz. What is the wing load in oz? I got this info from Kyosho's web site that the wing area of the osmose is 35.6 dm2. I converted this to get the 552 sq in. Is this even correct?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Nathan_L

That's 22.71 oz/sq foot. Yes the square inch equivilant of 35.6 dm2 is 551.8 square inches which is 3.83 sq. feet....divide that by your 87 ounces.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 PM
mart o

I've got one of the OS FS .72a 4-strokes on my Great Planes Big Stik 40 which weighs in at 5.57lb and with a 12x7 prop spinning at approx 10,800 it really hauls it around.

I was thinking of trying the same engine in an Osmose 70 but i am also thinking that the OS FS .81a with pump might be a better choice with the inverted install and tank on the CofG.
I have the OS 81a (non pump) in my Osmose and I love it. 72a will probably be a better choice to save a bit of weight. Use the 90 degree header and you can can keep everything nicely in cowl. Downside of course is OS is expensive. Each to their own.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Atlanta 60

Just wanted to pass this along an incident which happened to me yesterday...It was actually on my Oxalys 50 and not the Osmose but the fuel tanks are very similar:

It was the first flight of the day and I had assembled the plane after doing my usual pre-flight inspection...I have a YS 45 FR engine on the Oxalys which has been running flawless to this point...I started it up and per my usual practice let it idle for a little bit to let it warm up before running it up...When it came time to run it up it stumbled during transition and almost died at full throttle so I thought what the heck?? I brought it back to idle and died...After that it would start and idle but no transition?? Finally I noticed fuel dripping from what I thought was the cowling and I figured I must have loaded it up...As I picked the plane up to clear out the tuned pipe I noticed fuel really pouring out of the fuse and running down the bellypan...I knew something was obviously wrong and figured I must have split the fuel tank or busted a line...

Come to find out the fuel tank stopper had pushed out of the tank!! When I got home I found the bolt had stripped allowing the rubber to relax which in turn dumped all the fuel into the fuse...Fortunately it was pretty contained and I had fuel proofed the forward half of the fuse...I think it will be OK in the long run as most of the fuel drained right out and didn't get sloshed around the fuse too much...

I just wanted to pass that along...The tank in the Oxalys is a little smaller than the one in the Osmose but they have the same fuel stopper and associated hardware...It's metal so I thought it might be pretty good...But apparently it's pretty cheesy metal... [:@]

Glad I fuel proofed!! Glad I wasn't flying so the fuel got sloshed around to the tail which I haven't fuel proofed!! It definalty worked out for the best and I now have a Dubro tank installed plus one to go in my Osmose which is under construction...

Just my .02 cents worth..

Chuck
Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 PM
flutter caused it

Thanks Nathan, I think I have it now. Anyways, I was able to madain the Osmose. Flew it twice actually. I was having problems with the perry pump at the field, and couldnt get max rpm's, so first few flights were at below half throttle. The youtube link is listed below.. I think I have it figured out now though. Problem is that while running the pump using a two line tank system, I had to turn the idle mixture completely closed. Even this resulted in a rich, slow transistion to full throttle. A search revealed that some people are using a three line tank system with a bypass back to the tank located inbetween the pump outlet and the carb. I did this was was able to open the lower speed mixture to one full turn out, and it had a perfect transistion. But now, when I held the nose of the plane up at full throttle, it leans out. Doesnt matter how rich you adjusted the pump or the high speed mixture, the engine wasnt getting enough fuel. I cut the bypass line and inserted a small piece of copper tubibg that was slightly crimped on one end to act as a slight restriction. This seems to have solved my problem. I will try some more flights this weekend.
Any advice on where I can obtain carbon fiber landing gear and wheel pants. Landing in the grass was enough to crack one of the wheel pants. Hobby City sells a set of carbon landing gear that is advertised at 160mm at $28.58. Has anyone used this gear? How does it fit and function?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8CfXYVc52w
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Atlanta 60

I got my Bolly F3A Standard gear from Aero Products:
http://www.aeroproduct.net/

They were allot more expensive than the ones you mentioned ($50 something I think)...They are pretty kewl and more than enough for these little planes...

I didn't ask them but Aero Products may also carry the Bolly wheelpants?? The Bolly wheelpants are CF but I believe they are painted from the factory (not 100% positive on the painting)...I wanted the bare CF rather than painted so I made my own...

I've got some molds and I could make you a set of wheelpants if you wanted...Shoot me a PM...I gotta make another couple sets for myself too...

Please report back if decide to go with the Hobby City gear...(Are these the ones your talking about?? They look really Nice!!)
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6207&Product_Name=Carbon_Fiber_Landing_Gear_160mm_(1_Pa ir)

I like those spinners too!!! I definatly see one of those in my future... [8D]

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Atlanta 60

I just found these wheelpants from Chief Aircraft and they look pretty sharp:
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...aphtechWP.html
Old 04-11-2010, 02:09 PM
johncoulouris

Do you think that a saito 100 will fit inside the cowl of the osmose?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:50 PM
mart o

100 Saito: seems a bit OTT to me but if you are going to fit it, check out the firewall to back of spinner dimension, if that's OK it should go in.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:19 AM
mart o

A few pics of my beauty:
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92309.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1416626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97302.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1416627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41078.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1416628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65695.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1416629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc39041.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1416630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz37186.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1416631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx47162.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1416632  
Old 09-20-2010, 06:37 AM
flutter caused it

Can someone help me with the CG. I've removed my two stroke engine and replaced it with the new YS 70. I cant seem to find my assembly manual, hence I cant remember the CG. It seems like I do remember that it was measured from the trailing edge, not the leading edge. Also, how are you guys finding the factory CG location. It always seemed like my plane was always nose heavy even with the CG located at the rear of the meassurement. I say this because the plane always assumed a "diving" attitude while inverted. So, if you have found a more suitable CG location, please forward that as well. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
mart o

CG in book is 210-230mm from trailing edge. I messed with it a bit on the 1st few flights but found little difference on how it flew. Diving when inverted does seem to be an unfortunate characteristic of this otherwise great aircraft. I still love flying it.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:10 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pattern plane should dive when inverted. A totally neutral airplane is actually tail heavy. The easiest thing to do is to adjust your throw or expo so that you don't have to push as hard inverted, but you certainly do not want a plane that requires no down elevator inverted.

Arch
Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 PM
flutter caused it

Thanks Marto. Im going to have to wait until next week to fly her with the new YS70. As I was breaking the engine in, The prop nut, prop and spinner decided to go flying without the plane attached. I had to order a new two piece nut nut assembly and it wont be here until weds. Diving while inverted seems to be as you said, an unfortunate characteristic of this plane. Makes it more difficult to perform those long slooow runs across the field. My TOC yak and edge 540t assume a level flight path while inverted. Even my old tower hobbies kaos flies straight and level inverted. I wish I had waited before buying this airframe, I would have bought the Mrs. Wind instead. This is the maiden if you have a minute. I only have maybe 6 total flights with it. I just wasnt happy with the motor and decided to not fly it again until I purchased the YS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8CfXYVc52w

Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 PM
aeroboy1293

I've read through this build thread with great interest and was wondering if the YS 61FR would be OK to use. It seems to be either 50 size or 90 size models out there except of course for the classic designs like the loaded dice ect.....
Would fitting the YS61 FR cause problems with trimmimg the model given it's potential high power output.

Im interested in your thoughts before I go ahed and buy one.

James