RCU Forums - View Single Post - A really small float plane build thread
Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: A really small float plane build thread

Well,
I've been sitting on the kit waiting for a reply from the Ebay seller I bought the kit from, a couple emails and no reply after 8 days, debating if this calls for negative or just fair feedback, most likely the damage isn't his fault,, but the kit is obviously very old stock based on the condition of the decal sheet. Looking back on his feedback he has a history of not getting back to people when there is a problem, My bad for not researching the feedback before I pulled the trigger,, No big deal really

Annyway I'll start assembly this weekend

Problem solving for the water config?

1- Water steering,
I've given it a some thought and have (Like Da Vinci) designed in my mind a pull-pull system using monofilament and plastic or aluminum tubing as a housing. Ill run the mono through the tubing to the aileron servo(s) and use rudder mixing so when I give rudder input the water rudder will drive from the aileron servo(s)

2-Landing Speed,
Knowing that one of the the flight characteristics of these little planes is they land at a relatively fast speed which is not great for a water plane. Flaps solve that issue most time, but since the plane is so small I've decided I'll use flaperon control, 2 Aileron servos. To keep the plane as light as possible I'll not use an air rudder servo, just have a fixed vertical, I can always add later if needed

3 Attaching tip floats,
I'm thinking using the same plstic gear plates that the main gear would use, but those most likely will not be strong enough alone to with stand the torque of a single attach point, I may have to use the Monofilament again as guy wires, I have an idea how to make that work

Problem still to solve, I'm Welcoming Ideas
1- Waterproofing esc/radio gear
Typically I put the radio rx in a bags. A question I have being new to Elec. would putting the ESC in a plastic bag be bad for cooling purposes? or is that something I don't need to worry about with this small a plane?

TIA, SO4M