RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why so down on young guns?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Wyoming Cowboy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why so down on young guns?

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Lane, hit quote then type in your post so we know who and what you are talking about. No club members are required to teach or have an instructor. A lot of clubs are formed around a bunch of retired guys that don't even fly, just come out and BS between themselves. They will tell you everything you are doing wrong but couldn't show you how to do it if there lives depended on it, that's the peanut gallery. Some clubs are set up to teach new pilots, some aren't. One of my clubs had a trainer and buddy box but no one there flew well enough to teach you except one guy, you didn't want to learn from him anyway!! Another club had a couple instructors that would teach but you needed your own plane and gear plus the buddy cord that would fit the instructors TX, they offered only the instructor. I have never met anyone who resented the fact young people learned quicker then the oldfarts, it's one of the first things I tell new students, kids today are on a computer with a joy stick before they can talk, we didn't even have TVs growing up, these are new fangled things to us. Most all of us at my field land and stay grounded when a small group of young men come out to fly. These young men aren't very good and all they like is to see how fast they can go, they love it when they have a mid air!! No BS, they really get off on all the nice colors floating down. So far they have only hit each other but none of us will risk flying a plane worth thousands of dollars so these zoomy boys can have a target with there little ARFs. It goes on and on but the fact is, no one needs to be nice to you. Perhaps you are thought of as a butthead?? If you tick people off you will be shunned just so you don't come back. It may not be the people at the field as much as you think?
I should hope not. I just buzz around in the normal traffic pattern. Maybe roll or loop a few times but that's it. Kids who are speed demons like you described above I have no respect for and don't deserve to be in the hobby. When I started I had a Hobbico Superstar RTF. I had the radio and everything I just needed a buddy box and someone to fly it with me and the guys I talked to always had an excuse to get out of it. I asked if there was an instructor and they named a few guys or would point, "yeah so-and-so could prob'ly take you up." I'd talk to them and set-up countless days when I would show up to the field and they never came. I left after one year and now am in a more helpful club but those 3 or 4 guys just won't associate with me or any of the other younger guys.