RCU Forums - View Single Post - Physics of the Funnel?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 PM
karlik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Physics of the Funnel?

Sorry - not for me.

I'm from the northwest and drive in ice and snow and the same countersteering action applies. Something has to make the car start to go in one direction before you can countersteer. In your example you said "As the front of the car starts to move left, you quickly steer right causing the rear of the car to slide right..."
What caused the car to start to move left at the beginning? In drifting the driver intentionally starts the car left then countersteers right. Up here ice does it for you, and you countersteer.

Ignore the language barrier and just watch the heli and the stick movement. This guy gives a short back stick burst to bring the nose up, then almost full right stick at which point the heli starts to slide left into the funnel. In the countersteering example I think he would have needed to feed a short left input to make the heli start to move left and then right stick to countersteer, and I don't see that. [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqXJWH5JnR4[/link]

I have just learned that I can't funnel for more 1.7 seconds but I tried it in the sim. I pull the nose to vertical, feed in right stick and the heli starts to move left into a counter clockwise circle.

I'll openly admit that I have no idea of what's going on... and for all I know the drift theory may be correct. I hope you understand that it's hard for me to say your answer is wrong when I don't know the right answer I just can't see this being the result of countersteering.