RCU Forums - View Single Post - using camp fuel
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Tropheus30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: using camp fuel

I gotta make a strong argument against camp fuel after running it for a full year.

1. It doesn't smell. If the smell of gas gets the wife ticked off, use it, and store your boats inside.
2. You won't have to replace the carb diaphram for a while. The ethanol content in most gas will cause you to replace the diaphram every season. No big deal, but they last longer with camp.
3. It is 3 times as much as gas in price.
4. There are no power gains or decrease in wear components by using it.
5. Some say it causes your engine to run cooler because of the lower octane. I don't buy it after doing tests with both gas and camp fuel using a temp gauge on board to measure the high.

Here is a link with extensive testing. This link is what caused me to go back to the convenience and inexpensive gas route.

http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...cles/Gasoline/

It's just not worth it. I do believe in breaking in a new gas engine with marine outboard Quicksilver Mercury 2 stroke and switching to synthetic (Honda HP2) after a gallon. 87 octance from the pump is where I will stay. While I am on the topic, I got into a discussion about oil content with a fellow boater that has been racing for a long time. He swears by 5 oz per gallon. I asked him why so little and he said "cause we ain't running diesel here, and you gotta let gas do what it does. Leave the power in the mix." He's right. Some run 10 oz per gallon which I think is an overkill. Even 9 or 8 0z is probably a waste with sythetic oil. I run 6-7 oz of oil per gallon and have no problems. I actually get a better speed on the gps with 6 as opposed to 10 oz and I get more per bottle of HP2, which isn't cheap.