RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

ORIGINAL: FrankHawks

Just because you turn 16 doesn't mean you get the keys to the Corvette.

The same is true with airplanes.

Those planes could kill an entire crowd of people. Its not just skill that is needed, its maturity, judgement and more life experience than you might think.

Might I ask how a 15 year old can afford such models ?

Well said. [sm=lol.gif]

I'm 44 and have been flying full size private aircraft since I was at age 12. Am I ready to fly a fighter or commercial jet or a WWI or WWII bird? No! Would I like to? Heck yea, put me in a restored Bf-109 or Focke Wulf 190 any day. Heck, I wouldn't mind flying any Edge or Extra for fun. But I know darn well every plane is different, and I need additional training or briefing on each different bird I fly, just to be safe.

I have about 8 years of flying R/C, I've flown and owned trainers, Warbirds, Sport and scale. Am I ready for a extreme racer like the Great Planes Viper 400 or some high preformance Jet? Am I ready for a multi-engine plane? The answer is no.

This hobby for me gets to be too expensive when I rush into things. ( I keep buyng planes because the aircraft was a little less forgiving and my reactions on the controls didn't give me time to think.)

It happened to me once with one aircraft, so I listened to the "Ol Timers" even when I thought better. As a result my planes are lasting 2-4 years longer right now. Not just one season anymore.

I've seen people come and go in this hobby, they get frustrated and don't ask for help or suggestions and wind up quiting, not to return again. I always found it harder to re-control a less forgiving plane out of control than a plane a forgiving plane out of control.

So like many, I have to ask the same question... " What's the rush? "

We aren't suggesting things to piss you off. We have all been where you are at, you are not unique. People say I'm a real good flyer, but I know in my heart I'm far from it.

One yang when I should have yinged that almost caused a terrible accident at one airshow I attended last year. I was flying inverted low to the ground with my Seagull .90 Extra 260. I lost control for 3 seconds and the plane started heading torwards a crowd of spectators. I managed to re-gain the control of the plane out of instinct and diverted a accident that would have caused serious injuries and placed another black mark on this hobby.

I was so shaken up I asked the AMA Officials for my forgiveness about 10 times. They forgave me and invited me to dinner that night. To this day it still scares me when I think about it. And I'm still embarrassed to talk or write about it.

But you know what I learned? I'm not ready to do crazy stunts or show off at airshows, I'm not a Pro....YET. Seriously, I'm not as good as I thought and thank God I didn't hurt or kill anyone because I didn't humble myself in time.

Good Luck Race, we are here for you. Climb up one step at a time, not 4 or 5 at a time. You will wear out less and might stick around longer. [8D]

Pete