RCU Forums - View Single Post - Modified Ziroli Turbinator
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Modified Ziroli Turbinator

I wanted a first jet that would be easy to fly, yet have some scale presence. It seems there is nothing currently available to meet that need, so I built my own. By making some modifications to a Ziroli Turbinator I was able to come up with a plane that retains the good flying characteristics of the Turbinator, but has the look of a TS-11 Iskra 200BR. Most of the mods were to change the appearance and included: Rounded the lines out in many places, changed canopy, hatch, and nose, raised the wing up 1/2" and added a belly pan for the intake, modified the tail shape, reduced the rudder and vertical stab size, and added split flaps instead of the standard flaps shown on the plans. I finished the plane in plain solartex fabric and painted it. Retracts are Robarts made for the Top Flight Bonanza. I won't go into all of the equipment I used right now, but I chose the 19lb thrust Jet Central Rabbit for power. After over thirty flights I can say that the jet is everything I had hoped it would be. It flies great and looks very scale. Top speed does not exceed the airframe at about 140mph. It slows down very nicely for landing and has great slow flight characteristics. Here is a link to my 32nd flight on Youtube and some photos.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rdq6NFpvPA]RC Iskra Video[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82951.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1467730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79699.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1467731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69398.jpg
Views:	448