Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

UAS in the NAS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM
wjglynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UAS in the NAS

I have been doing a little research regarding what the FAA calls Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) and the regulations that control their use in the National Air Space System (NAS). I have attached here links to the two primary pertinent documents to this discussion. One is AC 91-57. It was authored in 1981 to provide authorization for RC recreational flying. The other is FAA Docket #FAA-2006-25714 which was authored in 2007. It discusses the different type of defined UAS operations, limitations to each, and plans to address the shortfalls of current regulations. I recently questioned the FAA about the sale of photographs or videos acquired from an RC plane. In the course of my email conversation I was pointed to these publications as a reference. I have seen a number of vigorous conversations on this board and others on this general topic but do not remember anyone referencing these documents. Has everyone else already read these documents? If you are not familiar with them here are the links:

AC 91-57

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...C?OpenDocument

Docket #FAA-2006-25714

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert...notice_uas.pdf

FAA advised me to work through AMA to provide input for pending regulations.

Bill
Old 01-14-2008, 10:41 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: UAS in the NAS

The meat and potatoes statement in this document comes near the end:

AC 91-57 only applies to modelers, and thus specifically excludes its use by
persons or companies for business purposes.
Brad
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
wjglynn

Default RE: UAS in the NAS

The policy sections prohibits any activity without specific authority. The section above that requires maintaining visual contact with the UAS. I suspect that these two points along with your observation will cause some to knash their teeth and wring their hands on this topic.