Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

The problem we wish we all had......sort of =h

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

The problem we wish we all had......sort of =h

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 PM
n00bflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The problem we wish we all had......sort of =h

I recently got my 900mhz setup from Furure Hobbies all installed and working on my FPV glider. Waaaaaaaaaaay better video than my $50 ebay camera. I guess you get what you pay for. My home made patch antenna also works great(thanks www.rc-cam.com!). So now the problem is that I think my video transmitting range out classes my flight control reciever range. It seems like the glider starts to get a wee bit glitchey when it's way off in ths distance(less than a quarter of a mile away). It seems like I spend my whole flight time turning / banking and not enjoying the view since I can't fly far enough away to have a nice long straight leg.

Here is my flight control equipment. Any suggestions would be much appereciated.

TX is a JR XP6102 72mhz
RX is a GWS R-6NII Narrow band(which is advertised as having a 1000 foot range, maybe this is my weak link?)

I'd like to hear reccomendations on a good mid-long range reciever for the 72mhz FM frequency that will work with my JR transmitter. I don't care about brand. Something in the $50-$60 range would be great. Cheaper even better =).
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
moogly

Default RE: The problem we wish we all had......sort of =h

I use a berg micro stamp (Castle creations 6 Channel) 72MHZ and it works great. i can fly my slowstick out of site and have to use the camera to point it back home till i can see it again now that has a good pucker factor.[X(]
looking back up and trying to find your plane.
and its not as glitchey as my Hitec was and I thought that was a good reciever
Old 05-14-2008, 11:46 PM
n00bflyer

What kind of transmitter are you using?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:43 AM
JMSTECH

Actually Futaba has been the favorite to many long range flyers. Now here is a tip... if you buy sayyyy a Futaba 9C, then you will give yourself some room for camera pan and til. Also once Intelligent Flight move on from prototype to production on their RF link, we should be able to fly as far as 100KM! The concept is to replace the module on the back of the Futaba 9C with the I.F 900mgz unit. The plane will have the 900mhz rx so now we will have a radio that will exceed the telementry gear Other wise go with a Futaba PCM setup for the time being
Old 05-16-2008, 09:04 PM
headhunter23

Hey jms if you swap the module for the 900mhz wouldn't that interfere with the 900mhz video systems that seems to be the overwelming choice for fpv'rs?

Ivan.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:41 AM
JMSTECH

Very good question and I think you are right! BTW I'm not a 900mhz user I think the majority of us are still on 2.4Ghz anyhow. BTW did you know that on those 900 mhz rx/tx, only one channel is legal to use? But don't quote me on this for I am getting this info second hand.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:10 PM
headhunter23

one channel? Whadya mean? radio or video stuff?

Old 05-19-2008, 01:07 AM
JMSTECH

I don't think it matters on which gear but it is a low band on the 900mhz frequency that is legal for hobbyist use which is for example channel 1 on any Range Video 900mhz a/v tx & rx.