Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Good digital camera?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good digital camera?

I posted this question over in begginers forum because I didn't think it really fit this one, but since I'm not getting much response over there I'll ask here anyway.

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good digital camera for shooting planes in motion?

I currently have a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W50 and I have a lot of trouble shooting planes in motion, especially if I'm trying to get the pilot or people in the background in the shot. I've tried every setting I know how to use on this camera and in half of my shots either the plane is blurry or the people in the background are blurry. The shutter delay also drives me nuts, am I wrong to assume that not all digital cameras have such a delay between pressing the button and when the camera actually shoots?
If anyone has a suggestion for a better camera, I would appreciate it!
Thanks
Old 03-21-2009, 08:40 AM
cmoulder

Default RE: Good digital camera?

Any non-SLR digital is going to have some shutter lag, which makes them not particularly good for action photography.

A good combo for capturing RC airplane action is a Nikon SLR (D60, D90 etc.) or similar Canon SLR with a 300mm telephoto and a 28-100 zoom lens.

Not exactly cheap, I realize, but if you want to get consistently good results and not depend on luck, this is the way to do it.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 AM
hugger-4641

Thanks for the response! A couple people in the begginers forum just responded and reccomended the Rebel Xt and the same lenses you mentioned. It sounds like the right choice for my budget, is the Nikkon similar in price?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:53 PM
imora99

Take a look at this Olympus: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=U...&creative=9325

Excellent camera and just as good as equivalent Canon/Nikon but at a lower price.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:19 AM
hugger-4641

Thanks, Looks like a good deal if it will do what the Cannon will! I'll do some more research on it.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:30 AM
hugger-4641

Guess I need to ask another dumb question. What is the difference between SLR and non-SLR?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
BigTb17

The main reason I would recommend a Nikon or a Canon over other brands is the availability of lenses and other accessories. However, if you find an Olympus you really like, they are good cameras.

Non-SLR cameras are generally refered to as Point-N-Shoot cameras. These are generally geared towards ease of use, portability, low cost and simplicity. SLR (Single Lens Reflex) is just a type of camera. On a point and shoot camera you are either looking at an image taken from the sensor itself, or looking through a standalone veiwfinder. On a SLR camera you are looking through the lens itself by way of a prizm, or mirrors. When you push the shutter botton on an SLR camera the prizm/mirror flips up exposing the sensor to what you were looking at through the viewfinder.

For the most part SLR cameras are higher quality than the average point and shoot. SLR cameras are generally larger, have replaceable lenses/flashes, better image processors, and much faster response times when taking pictures. They have far larger sensors than average point and shoots which results in better image quality (particularly in low light). They also have more pro-level features and adjustability.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:32 PM
hugger-4641

Thanks, I had no idea how they worked!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 AM
B.T.D.T.

Check out

http://www.dpreview.com/

for all your camera questions. Lots of review.